Firefighters put out Aquebogue chimney fire

01/24/2011 10:50 AM |

VERA CHINESE PHOTO | Riverhead firefighters were called twice to a Main Road home in Aquebogue to extinguish a chimney fire.

Riverhead firefighters were called twice to a Main Road home in Aquebogue Monday morning to extinguish a chimney fire.

No injuries were reported.

Firefighters were first called to the Hubbard family home just east of Edgar Avenue, about 5 a.m. and put out the blaze. They were called back after 8 a.m. and were still on the scene as of 10 a.m.

Riverhead Fire Chief Nick Luparella said the fire started in the chimney and the residents had lit a fire in the fireplace.

Riverhead Fire Marshal Dave Andruskiewicz said the blaze was caused by a buildup of creosote in the flue. He said embers likely smoldered in small cracks in the chimney, which cause the fire to flare up again.

He recommended having a chimney inspection at least once a year to prevent fires. “You avoid and minimize the damage as much as possible,” he said.

One Comment

  • I like the flea market, too; surely, it drives some business to Love Lane. But how about a compromise? Don’t let any vendors begin setting up until 9 a.m., and provide neighbors with “No Parking” sawhorses to put at the end of their driveways.