Riverhead firefighters responded to a call for a chimney fire that sparked inside a house on Sound Avenue in Calverton Wednesday afternoon.
The homeowner was able to extinguish the 4:30 p.m. blaze in the ranch-style house before firefighters arrived. Though the smell of smoke filled the neighborhood, which is just east of Twomey Avenue, the homeowner later said there was no smoke damage to the home.
Firefighters stayed on scene for about a half hour as they inspected the chimney and elsewhere in the house to make sure the fire was out.
Fire officials urge homeowners to have their chimneys inspected annually, especially if fireplaces are used often.