A Calverton man was arrested on an assault charge Sunday after he allegedly punched a female acquaintance in the face, causing her to be hospitalized, authorities said.
Police said officers arrived at the parking lot of the 7-Eleven near the Roanoke Avenue traffic circle in response to a distress call when they witnessed Jose Guadalupe-Lema trying to restrain a woman in his car. The woman later told police Mr. Guadalupe-Lema had punched her in the head and face.
The victim was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead for treatment of her injuries.
The victim told police through a Spanish interpreter that Mr. Guadalupe-Lema is a member of a Mexican drug cartel and that she is in fear of him, investigators said. She also told police he had been arrested under false names in the past.
Mr. Guadalup-Lema was charged with third-degree assault, officials said.
• Someone broke into an East Main Street business early Sunday and stole hundreds of dollars worth of calling cards, a cash register, lip balm, garbage bags and other assorted items, police said.
Some of the items stolen from La Mexicana grocery store were recovered in the nearby Peconic River parking lot that morning. A clerk told police the burglar pried open the back door to get into the store.
No arrests were made.
• A Riverhead man reported that he was beaten by five unknown men near the intersection of East Main Street and Roanoke Avenue in Riverhead about 3 a.m. Saturday. The victim was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center for treatment of his injuries.
No arrests were made.
• Lianne Stepnoski, 33, of Riverhead was arrested at police headquarters about 9:30 a.m. Saturday and charged with forgery, grand larceny and identity theft, according to police.
No additional information was available.
• A Quogue man was arrested at his home Thursday night for violating an order of protection secured by a female acquaintance, Riverhead Police said. Yasser Elroumy, 40, was arrested for allegedly knocking on the woman’s Shade Tree Lane home in Aquebouge, police said. Mr. Elroumy was charged with two counts of criminal contempt, officials said.
• Meghan Elefterion, 24, of East Quogue is facing a grand larceny charge after her arrest about 7 p.m. Monday at town police headquarters. No further details were available.
• State police arrested the following people in Riverhead Friday: Thea Caruana, 20, of Flanders; Kassandra James-Blond, 21, of Hampton Bays; and Robert Miller, 21, of Hampton Bays. All three individuals were charged with third-degree assault. The arrests were related, police said, but no additional information was available.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.