A traffic stop in Flanders last Tuesday led to the arrest of a man Southampton Police say attacked someone with a billy club last month.
John O’Connell, 42, of Royal Avenue in Flanders was pulled over for a traffic infraction on Royal Avenue near Flanders Road about 6 p.m. last Tuesday when an officer found he had been wanted for an April 2 incident in which he struck another person and his car with a billy club on Flanders’ Anchor Street, police said. The victim in that case was treated for injuries at Peconic Bay Medical Center and was released, police said.
Mr. O’Connell was charged with assault, criminal possession of a weapon, criminal mischief, aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, insufficient headlights and obstructed view, according to police.
• A Riverhead man is being accused of choking his stepson and pushing his wife, Southampton Police said.
Brian Hanlon, 49, of River Avenue in Riverhead was involved in a verbal argument with his wife’s son — an argument that became physical — about 6:15 p.m. last Thursday on Donellan Road in Hampton Bays, police said. Mr. Hanlon pushed his wife in the face and put her son in a choke hold, with his left arm around the son’s neck, staying in that position for about 40 seconds to one minute, according to police, who said the man only released the son after his wife became physical with him. Mr. Hanlon then left the house shortly afterward, police said. He was soon arrested and charged with criminal obstruction of breathing or blood circulation and second-degree harassment, authorities said.
• Sean Burke, 57, of Wildwood Trail in Northampton is facing harassment and criminal mischief charges after getting into a verbal argument with a woman and then throwing a flowerpot filled with dirt and flowers at her, hitting her in the face and causing “annoyance and alarm, and slight redness,” according to a police report.
Mr. Burke was arrested after the dispute Saturday night at the property, authorities said.
• A 27-year-old Flanders man reported being robbed at knifepoint by two unknown men who forced him into a car on Flanders Road Saturday afternoon, police said.
The victim told investigators the two men forced him at knifepoint into a car near the Garden Deli on Flanders Road in Flanders and drove him to the end of Albany Avenue in Flanders, where they robbed him of $1,025 cash, a $96 check, three bank cards, a $130 cell phone, a T-shirt, hat and jacket and two gold rings, officials said.
One suspect was described as a thin white male, about 5 feet, 4 inches tall and about 45 years old, police said. The other was described as a black male, about 5 feet, 2 inches tall and between 30 and 40 years old.
• Ryan Evans, 20, of Ludlam Avenue in Riverside was charged with trespassing early Monday on Montauk Highway in Westhampton, police said. He’s accused of entering someone’s property and trying to pry open a bedroom window, police said.
• A weed wacker, pitchfork and rake were reported stolen early Saturday from a Ludlam Avenue property in Riverside. The estimated value of the stolen items, which were kept in a rear shed, is about $200, police said.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.