• North Fork Audubon Society will host ‘Art and Forest,’ a photography exhibit and series of related programs, from June 10 to July 9 at Audubon’s Red House at Inlet Pond County Park in Greenport.
“Beyond Spheres,” a touring fine art photography project, features work by its director, nature photographer Koichiro Kurita. The project seeks to provide a “visual interpretation of the unique philosophy of Henry David Thoreau (1817-62) while utilizing the antique photographic processes of Thoreau’s British contemporary, William Henry Fox Talbot (1800-77),” he said in a press release. Mr. Kurita was born in Japan and has been photographing nature in the United States since 1990.
Mr. Kurita’s exhibit, “Landscapes,” will open with a lecture by Jeffrey Cramer, curator of the Thoreau Institute collections, at 3 p.m. Saturday, June 11, followed by a reception from 4 to 6. The show be on view through July 9.
The “Art and Forest” series also includes “A Walk in the Woods With Henry David Thoreau” with Tim Wood on June 10; a nature workshop on local birds, June 18; “Humans and Sculpture: Birds and Nest” with artist and teacher Diane Giardi, also on June 18; a sun print photo workshop with Yukito Yoneyama, June 25; and “A Celebration of Simplicity,” a cooking program with Diane Van Buren, on July 9. The July 9 program is followed by a closing reception.
• Studio East Gallery in Greenport will feature a ‘Small Works Show’ along with oil paintings by charter member of the month Judy Valentino; “Echoes of the Feminine Form: Works in Wood, Paint and Clay” by Studio E teacher Kristin Daly; and “Beyond What the Eye Sees,” acrylic and resin works by member Barbara Bilotta.
The shows open with a reception Saturday, June 11, from 6 to 9 p.m., and continues through July 2.
• A series of gallery walk talks will be hosted by the East End Arts Council School of the Arts and Greenport art galleries one Thursday each month through November. The Third Thursday Pre-Walk Talks begin at 6:30 p.m. June 16 at Brecknock Hall in Greenport.
The talks are presented in conjunction with the monthly Greenport Gallery Walks, which begin June 18. The June 16 event will be a “guided conversation” with artists, poets and gallery owners and a sneak preview for the series of talks and walks.
Call 369-2171 or visit eeacSchool.blogspot.com.
• Photographs by Howard Stevens will be on exhibit at Riverhead Town Hall from June 10 to Sept. 10. An opening reception is set for 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, June 14. A press release states that Mr. Stevens’ work “attempts to call attention to the relationship between the human element and the images he captures.” Town Hall is open weekdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• ‘Folk Art,’ a juried all-media exhibit, opens Friday, June 10, at the East End Arts Council gallery in Riverhead. The show, whose guest juror is Kathy Curran of Suffolk County Historical Society, runs through July 15. Call 727-0900 or visit eastendarts.org.
To send arts news, e-mail [email protected], fax to 298-3287, or mail to Times/Review Newspapers, P.O. Box 1500, Mattituck, NY 11952. Copy deadline: Wednesday at 5 p.m. to appear the following week.