A reputed drug cartel member who was wanted by Riverhead Police was arrested in town Sunday after fleeing on foot from the scene of a car crash in the downtown area, authorities said.
Jose Guadalupe-Lema, 21, was seen running from the crash and stopped by police near Town Hall just before 3 p.m., police said.
An officer tried to speak with him but he fled on foot, headed south toward the Long Island Rail Road tracks. It was not clear if Mr. Guadalupe-Lema was driving during the crash.
He was later picked up near Elton Street and found to be wanted on a bench warrant due in Riverhead Town Justice Court.
Mr. Guadalupe-Lema was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center for treatment of injuries suffered during the crash. He was charged with resisting arrest and third-degree escape.
He had previously been arrested on an assault charge in May after he allegedly beat a woman in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven near the Roanoke Avenue traffic circle. The victim told police through a Spanish interpreter that Mr. Guadalupe-Lema is a member of a Mexican drug cartel and that she is in fear of him, investigators said at the time.
• Someone broke into a house on Sound Avenue in Baiting Hollow this week and stole $2,000 worth of hair products. The theft was reported about 5:30 p.m. Monday.
• Wesley Simchick, 36, of Riverhead was arrested in Grangebel Park about 6:30 p.m. Monday and was charged with seventh-degree criminal possession of marijuana and unlawful possession of marijuana, town police said. He was taken to police headquarters and released on $100 bail.
• A man reported being assaulted with a bat in the King Kullen parking lot in Wading River on Saturday, according to town police. The assault was reported about 2:15 p.m. No arrests have been made.
• A man said two unknown men driving a Jeep Wrangler punched and kicked him in the parking lot of Riverhead Free Library last Wednesday, according to town police. No arrests have been made.
• Jesus Chocon, 29, of Riverside was arrested by state police Saturday and charged with third-degree assault, officials said. Mr. Chocon is due in Southampton Town Justice Court July 6. No additional details were available.
• Darius Strong, 31, of Riverhead was arrested by state police last Wednesday and charged with second-degree criminal contempt, police said. No additional details were available.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.