Ron McEvoy, a former Greenport High School assistant and junior varsity football coach who has observed the Greenport sports scene since 1969, selects his five all-time greatest Greenport High School athletes:
5. CARL UTZ Almost interchangeable with Dorrie Jackson Jr. Had great speed and was a big scorer for undefeated football teams.
4. DORRIE JACKSON JR. Another great three-sport competitor with a scoring record in football. Not a bad pedigree, either (his father was the former legendary football coach of the Porters).
3. RYAN CREIGHTON Regardless of his scoring records in basketball, he was a complete player and totally unselfish. This five-year starter was a coach on the court from his first start.
2. DICK and HARRY BREESE I’m cheating on this one. I can’t decide between these two great three-sport athletes who played key positions.
1. AL EDWARDS Everybody knows his basketball skills and records, but forgets that he competed in four varsity sports.
Who would make your list? Leave a comment below.