Looking for something local to do this weekend? The Riverhead News-Review weekend guide has got you covered. Check out our listing of this weekend’s happenings. Or, you could visit our weekly calendar under the community tab on our homepage.
• Tonight there will be a Zumba Fundraiser for Crohn’s & Colitis in honor of Doobee Hansen, from 6 until 9 p.m. at Southold Elementary School on Oaklawn Avenue. 5-year-old Doobee is the honored hero for CCFA’s annual Take Steps Walk on Saturday, Oct. 1, and all proceeds go to that event. Tickets are $10 at door. There will also be a Chinese auction and 50/50 raffle; craft station and face painting for kids available during Zumba portion of fundraiser. Raffle tickets are $5 each. Call 765-3240.
• It’s homecoming weekend in the Riverhead School District. The parade kicks off at 12:30 p.m. and the varsity football game starts at 2 p.m. This year’s parade theme is board games. Come out to support the Blue Waves!
• This weekend is the annual Greenport Maritime Festival. The Parade starts at 11 a.m and the festival continues until 5 p.m. Saturday and will run from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Sunday. There will be vendors, roaming musicians, a Village Blacksmith, Captain Kidd’s Alley, old-fashioned games, treasure chest, traditional arts and crafts demonstrations, Peconic Radio Club, pirate shows, Power Squadron, kayak derby, live music, whaleboat race and a children’s snapper fishing contest. Pick up a festival journal at Greenport merchants or visit eastendseaport.org.
• On Saturday there will be a Bluegrass Music Festival from noon until 5 p.m. at Big Duck Ranch in Flanders. Admission is $10, seniors/children under 12 are $5. Performers are Boot Scoot Boogie, Vinnie Chills, Carolyn Doctorow and The Steam Rollers, and Ron Rothman. Bring a chair or blanket for comfort. Refreshments will be sold. Call 258-6796 for more details.
• Tanger Outlet Center in Riverhead and the North Fork Breast Cancer Coalition are sponsoring a 5K Walk for Breast Cancer Awareness at the West Main Street shopping center. Registration will be held from 7:30 until 8:45 a.m with an opening ceremony at 8:45 a.m.. The walk begins at 9 a.m. The fee is $25 day of event.
• Kent Animal Shelter and Martha Clara Vineyards will host the annual Wines & Canines 5K Run/Walk from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the Sound Avenue vineyard in Riverhead. Proceeds benefit the new Kent Kennels Animal Shelter facility. Bring your canine friend on a leash. Includes dog agility demonstrations by All Fur Fun Agility, pet-related vendors, chinese auction and raffle. Food and wine will be available for purchase. Registration $25 minimum donation per person, children 12 and under free. Registration at 11 a.m., runners start at noon, walkers start course anytime before 1 p.m. To pre-register download registration/pledge forms at KentAnimalShelter.com/winesandcanines or call 727-5731.