Looking for something local to do this weekend? The Riverhead News-Review weekend guide has got you covered. Check out our listing of this weekend’s happenings. Or, you could visit our weekly calendar under the community tab on our homepage.
• The annual Jamesport Fire Department’s 10K Sound to Bay race begins 9 a.m. at Iron Pier Saturday. Registration starts at 7 a.m. at Jamesport Town Beach. The entry fee is $25 day of race. Visit jfd10krun.com or email email@example.com for more information. The race was originally set for August27, but was rescheduled due to Tropical Storm Irene.
• And if after the 10k you still have some energy left, head on across the Peconic Bay to the 12th Annual Shelter Island 5K Run/Walk Crescent Beach at 10 a.m. All proceeds benefit Coalition for Women’s Cancers at Southampton Hospital and the North Fork Breast Health Coalition. There will be a raffle to benefit Lucia’s Room, a new comfort and caring room at Southampton Hospital. Race day registration is $30 and children 14 and under are $10. There will be free T-shirts and medals for first 500 registrants, stretch clinic, therapeutic massages, chili and barbecue. Call 774-9499 for more information.
• North Fork Community Theatre will present ‘Harvey’ by Mary Chase, winner of the 1945 Pulitzer Prize for drama. An opening weekend reception to celebrate the Building on Tradition campaign to buy the Old Sound Avenue building in Mattituck will be held at 7 p.m. Friday and Sunday with performances to follow at 8 p.m. A reception will also be held at 1:30 a.m. Sunday with a reception at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at nfct.com or by calling298-NFCT.
• A “Halloween Costume Party” will be held at the Southold Town dog park from 1-3 p.m. Saturday. The event is free. If you miss it, we will have a slide show on our website later in the day.
• North Fork Audubon hosts “Enchanted Trails” at Inlet Pond County Park in Greenport form 11 a.m. until 4p.m. Saturday.
Times/Review reporter Jennifer Gustavson will be there covering all the fun. There will be gnome homes, hobbit habitats and fairy houses, during this “magical weekend of creation and exploration.” The fee is $5 per person or $20 per family. Proceeds benefit NFAS. Call 477-6456 or 917-623-5373 for more info.