Looking for something local to do this weekend? This week’s Riverhead News-Review weekend guide is full of fun events that also benefit others. Check out our listing of this weekend’s happenings. Or, you could visit our weekly calendar, listed under the community tab on our homepage.
‘Tis almost the season for thanks, which also means the season to give back. Read on for a few ways in which you can help.
• East End Shakespeare and Northeast Stage will present “Shakespeare: In the Company of Players” at 7 p.m. at Jamesport Meeting House on Friday and Saturday. Organizers describe the show as a “celebration of actor, audience, creative process and human spirit.” Admission is $18, or $12 for students with ID. Admission includes wine and cheese reception. The play will benefit Jamesport Meeting House Preservation Trust and Northeast Stage’s free Shakespeare in the Park productions, two worthy causes. Call 208-6933 for more info.
• The second annual Southold Athletic Association 5K Fun Run starts 8:30 a.m. Saturday. Registration is $25 on the day of the event starting at 7 a.m. in the elementary school gym. A PTA Health & Wellness Fair will follow with vendors, interactive booths, Zumba, yoga and more. Proceeds will benefit SAA and North Fork Parish Outreach food pantry. Also, donations of nonperishable food items welcome. Visit southoldufsd.net.
• After recuperating from the run, head to the concert to benefit Maureen’s Haven at Riverhead United Methodist Church on Main Street Saturday night. The event, which starts at 7 p.m., will feature The Glorification Singers, Stan Saas and United Methodist Choir. Maureen’s Haven is a non-profit that provides shelter for the homeless. Donations are encouraged. Bring nonperishable food item. Call 727-2327.
• Bring your appetite Sunday morning as the Riverhead Rotary Club’s annual pancake breakfast will be held at Polish Hall from 8 a.m. until noon. There will be activities for kids and a 50/50 drawing and raffle for wine tasting. Tickers are $12 for adults, $10 for seniors, $8 for kids, and under 3 is free. Proceeds support scholarships, backpack program and community charities. get your tickets from Riverhead Rotarians or at the door. Call 566-5457 or visit riverheadrotary.org.
• This sounds cool. “The Ghosts of Long Island: Pirates and Shipwrecks,” an interactive multimedia presentation by the Paranormal Adventurers, will be held at Southold Free Library Sunday. The event, which starts at 2 p.m., is free. Call 765-2077.
• A Soup Supper will be held from 5 until 7 p.m. at Old Steeple Community Church in Aquebogue Sunday. There will be a variety of soups, breads, beverages and desserts. Adults are $12, under 12 is $9. Call 722-3580.