Looking for something local to do this weekend? The Riverhead News-Review weekend guide has got you covered. Check out our listing of this weekend’s happenings. Or, you could visit our weekly calendar under the community tab on our homepage.
• With the holidays fast approaching, why not extend some cheer to our four-legged friends? Kent Animal Shelter will host a Holiday Pet Boutique and Open House from 10 am. until 4p.m. at the Calverton shelter Saturday. There will be handmade gifts, refreshments, treats, and toys to benefit homeless animals at Kent Animal Shelter. Volunteers will accept donations of pet food, treats, toys, and clean bedding for shelter animals. The fun continues Sunday from 10 am.-4p.m. Call 727-5731 for more information.
• The Riverhead Middle School Concert will be held at Martha Clara Vineyards in Riverhead at 11 a.m. Saturday. The show choir, chamber orchestra and jazz band will perform. The event is free.
• There will be a party and stargazing at Custer Institute for the annual Geminid Meteor Shower from 7 p.m. until midnight Saturday. Suggested donations are $5 for nonmembers, $3 for children and free for members. Call 765-2626for more info. A Wading River resident thought one had fallen in her backyard, but that was not the case.
• Though not technically a public event, on Sunday 6 pm Jude Petrowski of Two Bears Estates off Middle Road will host his annual neighborhood Christmas Party. He has an antique sleigh, which he loads with presents, his brother dresses as Santa and he pulls the sleigh with a tractor around the neighborhood to deliver gifts to children. We will be there to snap a few photos of this true community event.
• ‘A Gift to the Community,’ the 27th annual Christmas Concert will be performed at First Baptist Church of Riverhead at 6 p.m. Sunday. The event will feature special guests the Riverhead High School Chamber Choir. Refreshments will be served and admission is free. Call 727-3446 for more information.