Minutes after the New York Giants put the finishing touches on their Super Bowl XLVI victory Sunday night, the Riverhead News-Review received a reader photo.
The picture was of Mike Giangreco, the East Wind sales rep we featured last week, who got a new tattoo this month with Giants logo and the Roman numerals for each of the team’s Super Bowl wins. He was again showing us his tattoo, which he plans to add onto this week to permanently commemorate this latest win on his arm.
Times/Review associate web editor Joe Werkmeister is making plans to join him to capture the tattoo in a video for all our Giants fan readers to enjoy.
By the way, Mike predicted the Giants would win 21-7, so he nailed the Giants score and was only 10 points off overall. My 31-28 Giants prediction, which I kept quiet due to superstitions, fell way off the mark.
• The Giants have officially spoiled me in my sports lifetime, delivering four of the five championships in my sports memory from teams I root for. Considering the awful state of affairs in Flushing and the misery a slow start from the Knicks, I’m especially grateful for Sunday’s win. Maybe this is what it feels like to be a Yankees fan. I truly do wish my Jets-fan friends get to experience this in the near future.
• Speaking of the Giants’ win over New England, I couldn’t help but wonder this morning if the Panciocco family of Jamesport has taken the Patriots banner down from its driveway yet.
• Our wrestling live blog received a ton of traffic this weekend. Here are photos from the event, which saw Shoreham-Wading River capture a League VI title.
• The big non-sports news this weekend happened in Wading River, where a Route 25A corridor study got underway.
• Did you know Riverhead housing permits are at a 10-year low?