Video: A peek inside Greenport’s Little Red Schoolhouse

by |
03/02/2012 5:00 AM |

JENNIFER GUSTAVSON PHOTO | Tom Payne, owner of South Street Gallery in Greenport Village, has volunteered about 400 hours of labor to restore the historic Old Schoolhouse located on Front Street. Here he is completing the building’s handicap ramp.

After nearly two years, the Old Schoolhouse renovation project is close to completion.

The historic structure, commonly referred to as the “Little Red Schoolhouse,” was built in 1818 and is located on Front Street in Greenport Village. Although small gatherings were held at the former Kindergarten classroom last summer, the village plans to fully open the building this spring.

Pick up the March 8th edition of The Suffolk Times to read more about the renovation project.