[nggallery id=425 template=galleryview]
The 13th annual Riverhead Railroad Festival ‘Family Fun Days’ was held on museum grounds at Griffing Avenue across from Riverhead’s LIRR Station Saturday.
Its features include a historic Lionel Visitors’ Center train layout, which is 14 feet by 40 feet. It was donated by Lionel Corp. to the Railroad Museum of Long Island last year.
Other features include a 1964-65 World Fair’s miniature train, the 1923 H.K. Porter steam engine, a 1963 ex-LIRR Bay Window Caboose No. C-68, a garden railway, gas engines owned by the Long Island Antique Power Association’s members and a locomotive simulator donated by the LIRR, which was used to train engineers.
The festival continues Sunday.
The Railroad Museum of Long Island was established in 1990 to preserve the history and artifacts of the railroads and its effect on the growth of Long Island.