Dryer fire causes Christmas Eve scare for Riverhead woman

12/24/2012 4:04 PM |

TIM GANNON PHOTO | Riverhead Fire Department volunteers quickly extinguished a dryer fire Monday afternoon.

Marjorie Andrews said she was just about to head out at about 3:10 p.m. Monday when she decided to first see if the clothes she had in the dryer were ready.

Instead, she discovered that the dryer, in the basement of the Millbrook Lane home, was on fire. She immediately called the Riverhead Fire Department.

“They were here in less than three minutes,” she said. The fire was under control minutes later, she added. “They are really quick out here,” the Philadelphia native said. “They don’t get there this quick in Philadelphia.”

The dryer was new, she said, and she had checked the lint trap beforehand, so she believes the fire was electrical.

“I’m glad I didn’t leave,” Ms. Andrews said.

The Riverhead Town fire marshal was called to investigate the cause of the fire, and volunteers from the Riverhead Fire Department stayed on scene to ensure that the fire was out, before returned to the station at about 3:50 p.m.

tgannon@timesreview.com