A house on Twomey Avenue was almost completely destroyed by a fire that raged for nearly an hour Sunday evening, sending two people to the hospital for treatment, authorities said.
Riverhead firefighters received a report about the fire in Calverton about 4:30 p.m., fire officials said. When they arrived on the scene, the two-story house was fully engulfed in flames, said Riverhead Fire Department press officer Bill Sanok. Fire officials reported a large column of black smoke rising from the house.
“It was flames up from the ground to the roof,” Mr. Sanok said.
Two people were in the house at when the fire started, but were able to escape, police said. They were taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center for treatment, police said. An update on their condition was not immediately available.
Firefighters from Jamesport, Flanders, and Wading River Fire Departments were called in to help battle the blaze, Mr. Sanok said.
After about 45 minutes, the fire was under control, and firefighters were “mopping up” the smoldering remains of the house, he said.
Riverhead Fire Marshals were on the scene late Sunday night, but had not yet determined the cause of the fire.
Neighbors who live near the house said the family that lived there was new to the neighborhood and had just moved in two years ago.
“It’s a shame,” a neighbor said of the destruction. “A real shame.”