Riverhead firefighters scaled an ice-slicked roof in Calverton Sunday night to extinguish a chimney and roof fire, authorities said.
Fire officials received a report of a structure fire at a house off River Road about 6 p.m. The inside of the chimney as well as a part of the roof were on fire when they arrived on the scene.
The fire department set up two ladders on the steep roof of the residence and began fighting the blaze.
Firefighters Andrej and Branden Ceckowski climbed to the top of the roof and used two chimney flares — which suck the oxygen needed by the fire out of the air — and chemical extinguishers to put out the chimney fire, said second assistant fire chief Kevin Brooks. Firefighters also sprayed the roof with a fire hose to prevent it from catching fire again.
By 6:30 p.m. the fire was out. Though a homeowner was inside the house at the time of the fire, no one was injured, authorities said.