Good Samaritan alerts homeowner to fire

03/30/2013 7:16 PM |

CARRIE MILLER PHOTO | Firefighters respond to a house fire in Aquebogue Saturday.

A good Samaritan driving past a Main Road home in Aquebogue noticed flames late Saturday afternoon and stopped to notify the family inside, Riverhead police said.

About six people and a dog safely evacuated the home after hearing word of the flames, police said.

Riverhead police and about 30 Jamesport Fire Department volunteers responded to the scene about 4:30 p.m., said Chief Duffy Griffiths of the Jamesport Fire Department.

Fire officials determined the flames were likely caused by embers that had blown out of a recently lit fireplace, Chief Griffiths said.

The home sustained minimal damage and no one was hurt, he said.

cmiller@timesreview.com

Comments

comments