Grease fire damages roof at Cliff’s Rendezvous in Riverhead

06/25/2013 4:53 PM |
STEVE ROSSIN PHOTO | Riverhead firefighters put out a fire on the roof of Cliff's Rezdezvous in Riverhead.

STEVE ROSSIN PHOTO | Riverhead firefighters put out a fire on the roof of Cliff’s Rendezvous in Riverhead.

The roof of a popular downtown restaurant was damaged Tuesday afternoon when a grease fire spread from the kitchen, Riverhead fire officials said.

One employee of the restaurant suffered a minor burn and was treated at the scene.

The fire broke out in a fan unit in the kitchen at Cliff’s Rendezvous on East Main Street shortly before 3 p.m., said Riverhead second assistant chief Kevin Brooks.

The fire then spread to the roof, charring a section near the chimney.

Riverhead firefighters quickly got to the scene with multiple fire engines and began fighting the blaze. Fire crews used ladders to get onto the roof of the restaurant to reach the fire.

Mr. Brooks said the injured employee had a minor burn to his hand, but refused further medical attention.

East Main Street was closed between Union and Maple avenues while fire crews put out the blaze.

By 3:30 p.m. the fire was under control.

Mr. Brooks said the fire “had the potential” to be worse had firefighters not responded as quickly. The Riverhead Fire Marshall was on scene to investigate the fire.

By 4 p.m., fire crews reopened the roads and were leaving the scene.