A 20-year-old homeless man was arrested for trespassing after he was found sleeping in a school bus parked in the Riverhead School District’s bus garage early Tuesday, police said.
Monwell Wright was arrested at the Osborn Avenue bus barn about 3:50 a.m, authorities said. He was charged with criminal trespassing and held for morning arraignment.
• Tools and equipment worth over $13,500 were reported stolen from a Burman Boulevard business on Tuesday, police said.
Sometime between Oct. 8 and Oct. 14 a number of lawn mowers, portable heaters, compressors and an assortment of other tools were stolen from a secured holding container at the Calverton business, according to a report.
Tire patterns from an unknown vehicle could be seen leading up to the doors of the container, authorities said.
Detectives are investigating.
• A 24-year-old Riverhead man was arrested on a DUI charge after police stopped a suspicious vehicle in the parking lot of Taco Bell early last Tuesday, according to a town police report.
Lionel Trent was arrested about 1:15 a.m. for driving while ability impaired by drugs and unlawful possession of marijuana, police said.
• A backpack containing more than $5,500 worth of computer equipment and jewelry was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the Walmart parking lot last week, police said.
The items, which were kept inside a red Swiss Army backpack, were removed sometime on Nov. 16.
• An unknown male confronted a Pulaski Street Elementary School student Friday, offering the student a toy, police said.
The student was making his or her way to the school’s entrance when approached by the man, according to a report. Additional information was not immediately available.
• Three vehicles in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven by the Route 58 traffic circle were vandalized with permanent marker early Wednesday, according to reports. The damage was reported about 1 a.m., police said.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.