The 20-year-old homeless man arrested for beating someone with a rock during an armed robbery attempt in Polish Town in January has pleaded guilty to the three felony charges against him and is expected to be sentenced to six months in jail, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office.
Monwell Wright admitted to two counts of attempted armed robbery and one count of assault related to the incident on Jan. 24 in Judge William Condon’s court Thursday morning, according to online court records. A misdemeanor assault charge was covered as part of Mr. Wright’s plea, the records show.
Judge Condon will likely sentence Mr. Wright to six months in Suffolk County jail with an additional five years probation, said DA spokesman Robert Clifford. The DA’s office will recommended a higher sentence of two years imprisonment plus two more years of post release supervision, he said.
Mr. Wright remains held on $25,000 cash bail or $50,000 bond.
During Mr. Wright’s arraignment last month, Assistant District Attorney Michelle Chiuchiolo said Mr. Wright and a girlfriend attacked the victim while the man was walking on Sweezy Avenue on his way to take the train to work about 6:15 a.m.
After knocking in his victim to the ground with a rock, Mr. Wright continued to beat the victim, demanding cash, until a vehicle drove by. Police said Mr. Wright and the woman fled without any of the victim’s money.
Prosecutors said the victim needed several stitches to close up a wound on his face and identified Mr. Wright as his attacker. The 20-year-old was arrested by police one day after the attempted robbery.
While prosecutors at his arraignment said Mr. Wright may have played a role in a second robbery about the same time, he has not been charged with any additional crimes.
Police have not reported arrests of either Mr. Wright’s alleged girlfriend or the robbers in the second assault.
Mr. Wright is scheduled to be sentenced on April 11, according to online records.