Jamesport firefighters respond to early Sunday morning fire

05/04/2014 8:00 PM |
(Credit: Google Maps image)

(Credit: Google Maps image)

Although smoke detectors at a Jamesport home weren’t working when a kitchen garbage can caught fire early Sunday morning, fire officials said in a press release the residents made it out safely.

The Jamesport Fire Department responded to the fire on Main Road shortly after 1 a.m. and found the residents had doused the fire before evacuating, officials said.

The fire appeared to have sparked in the kitchen garbage can, which officials said was filled with soiled and oily rags.

“Fortunately, the residents awoke due to the smell of smoke filling the residence as the smoke detectors were inoperable,” John Andrejack of the Jamesport Fire Department said in a press release.

After the fire was extinguished, officials said firefighters vented the home of smoke and checked carbon monoxide levels while fire police units controlled traffic at the scene.

The Riverhead Town Fire Marshalls Office was also notified, officials said.

Fire officials are asking residents to check their smoke alarms regularly and store and dispose combustibles properly.

Comments

comments