Mattituck High School senior Shannon Dwyer and Riverhead High School senior Carolyn Carrera were repeat winners when Times/Review Newsgroup presented its athlete of the year awards for the 30th consecutive year on Thursday evening.
Both are three-sport athletes. Dwyer played volleyball, basketball and competed in track and field. Carrera’s sports were soccer, basketball and lacrosse. This is the second year in a row of winning the award for both of them. Carrera was a co-winner last year with Shanice Allen.
The other 2013-14 winners were:
• Riverhead High School’s Ryan Hubbard (football, lacrosse)
• Bishop McGann-Mercy Diocesan High School’s Meg Tuthill (cross country, winter track, track and field) and Luis Cintron (football, winter track, track and field)
• Shoreham-Wading River High School’s Aimee Manfredo (tennis) and Ryan Udvadia (cross country, winter track, track and field)
• Greenport High School’s Brandi Gonzalez (field hockey) and Christian Angelson (football, wrestling, baseball)
• Mattituck High School’s Gene Allen (football, basketball)
• Southold High School’s Cari Gehring (tennis, basketball) and Gary Prieto (sailing, tennis).
Seniors dominated the awards. The only non-senior to win is Tuthill, a sophomore.
The top female and male athletes from six area high schools were honored at Times/Review Newsgroup headquarters in Mattituck where they were presented with plaques.