Ten non-profit organizations in Riverhead, Southold and Shelter Island are on the receiving end of $25,000 in grant money courtesy of The Long Island Community Foundation and All For the East End (AFTEE) Fund’s Building Stronger Neighborhood Program, funds which were raised after AFTEE hosted a concert at Martha Clara Vineyards last year which netted a total of $70,000.
Following the inaugural concert, this is the first time the two groups have partnered to distribute the grant, which aims at improving the community across the East End. In all, the Building Stronger Neighborhood Program provided $50,000 to 20 nonprofits Riverhead, Shelter Island, Southampton, Southold and East Hampton.
Since announcing the program last year, more than 80 groups submitted projects that are in need of funding, according to a Long Island Community Foundation statement.
“We received an overwhelming number of proposals,” said David Okorn, Long Island Community Foundation’s executive director. “It really validates the extent of the needs out on the Island’s east end. We are very excited about this collection of organizations and feel it addresses those diverse and important set of needs within these communities.”
Below are the details of each $2,500 grant winners in Riverhead, Southold and Shelter Island.
- Aid to the Developmentally Disabled – expansion of a sensory garden program for people with disabilities
- East End Arts & Humanities Council – Jump StART artist/business collaborative
- North Fork Spanish Apostolate – leadership development workshops
- Open Arms Care Center – food purchase to restock pantries
- Peconic Community Council/Maureen’s Haven – safety screeners for homeless outreach program
- Community Action Southold Town, Inc. – purchase of books & toys for the Parent- Child Home program
- North Fork Animal Welfare League – provide low/no cost spay and neuter surgeries
- Southold Free Library – for the purchase of replacement computers
- Shelter Island Historical Society – oyster bed restoration education program
- Sylvester Manor Educational Farm – educational program on sustainable agriculture