• Shelter Island photographer Victor Friedman will discuss his work as part of the ‘Judaism and Art’ series presented by Congregation Tifereth Israel in Greenport at 2 p.m. Sunday, July 27.
According to a press release, Mr. Friedman’s images “have been called timely and timeless. From his New York City street scenes to his lyrical cubistic compositions, he captures the emotions and heart of the era in which he has worked for more than 50 years.”
The program is free. Call organizer Debra Riva at 456-5903.
• Vendors are sought for a Saturday, Aug. 2, arts and crafts show hosted by the Old Town Arts and Crafts Guild on the Village Green in Cutchogue. Visit oldtownartsguild.org or call 734-6382.
• “Pond Studies,” work by Nijole Kudirka and Katherine Liepe-Levinson, will be on view July 26 to Aug. 31 at Alex Ferrone Photography Gallery in Cutchogue. Ms. Ferrone’s “Winter Aerial Observations” of local waters will also be shown.
Both Ms. Kudirka and Ms. Liepe-Levinson live in New York City and on the East End. Ms. Kudirka says in a release that she “photographed vernal ponds and ephemeral tide pools in the seashore dunes of the East End.” Ms. Liepe-Levinson said, “I make a practice of pond-gazing in all seasons, meditating on our precious, irreplaceable natural resources.”
The pair will give a gallery talk at 1 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 3.
• Twenty hand-painted vintage wooden buoys will be featured in a silent auction during a gala hosted by Stirling Historical Society on Saturday, July 26. The event will be held at the Hanff Boatyard in Greenport.
Local artists who created works for the auction are Caroline Waloski, Amy Worth, Randee Daddona, Emilia Olsen, Eddie Martinez, Lori Guyer, Cindy Pease Roe, Frank Uellendahl, Ann Sage, John Wissemann, Nancy Wissemann Widrig, Kathleen Bifulco, David Nyce, Megan Barron, Jada Rowland, Rich Fiedler, Brenda Miller, Isabelle Haran-Leonardi and Gail Horton.
• A reception for “Sanctuary,” an exhibit of new works on canvas by Danielle Malmet Rodger, will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. today, Thursday, July 24, at Greenport Harbor Brewing Company. The show continues through Sept. 1.
• Oysterponds Historical Society’s Summer Benefit, on Saturday, Aug. 2, will feature a silent art auction of work by area artists. The event will take place from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at Poquatuck Park in Orient. Reservations are required by July 26.
Work by the following artists will be offered: Bill Adams, Joan Berglund, Bob Berks, Jeanne Betancort, Kadar Brock, Gülsen Calik, EJ Camp, Carter, Dominick DiLorenzo, Wayne Gonzales, Blaise Hayward, Eddie Martinez, Servane Mary, Naom Medovoy, Sylvia Newman, Laura Owens, Mark Robbins, Arden Scott, Kathy Smith, Taz Smith, Manuela Soares, Marilyn Uhl-Utz, Julia Warr, Marianne Weil, Laura Westlake, Lars Westvind and Allan Wexler.
Contact OHS at oysterpondshistoricalsociety.org or 323-2480.
To send arts news, email [email protected], fax to 298-3287, or mail to Times/Review Newspapers, P.O. Box 1500, Mattituck, NY 11952. Copy deadline: Wednesday at 5 p.m. to appear the following week.