Two men arrested in Flanders shooting held without bail

10/16/2014 12:34 PM |
Emmanuel Coleman, 34, of Riverhead and Kwame Opoku, 32, of Mastic Beach, being led to their arraignment Thursday morning. (Credit: Carrie Miller)

Emmanuel Coleman, 34, of Riverhead and Kwame Opoku, 32, of Mastic Beach, being led to their arraignment Thursday morning. (Credit: Carrie Miller)

The two men who police say are responsible for a shooting in Flanders Wednesday that critically injured one man are being remanded without bail at the Suffolk County Jail as they await a grand jury indictment.

Emmanuel Coleman, 34, of Riverhead and Kwame Opoku, 32, of Mastic Beach, stood before Southampton Town Justice Barbara Wilson during their arraignment Thursday morning, wearing plastic jumpsuits, their hands cuffed to leather belts at the waist.

County prosecutors said Mr. Coleman has four prior felony convictions, making him ineligible for bail.

Police said the unidentified 36-year-old male victim was standing in front of his residence on McKinley Street when he was shot shortly after 3 p.m. He was airlifted to Stony Brook University Medical Center, underwent surgery and is now in critical condition, authorities said.

Police said they later found Mr. Opoku and Mr. Colemen in a vehicle fitting a witness description, near Spinney Road and Route 24 in Flanders.

Mr. Opoku had been involved in a verbal altercation with the victim earlier in the day, according to a release.

Mr. Coleman, a father who has been working for a temp agency in Islandia, was charged with first-degree assault, a felony, and was issued a warrant for a parole violation, officials said.

Mr. Opoku, also a father, was charged with first-degree assault, second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, second-degree criminal use of a firearm, and first-degree reckless endangerment, all felonies, police said. Mr. Opoku previously had a 2011 drug conviction overturned and he had filed a lawsuit against Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota, according to prior Newsday stories. He dropped the lawsuit in September, Newsday reported.

An order of protection was issued the two men following their latest arrests for seven individuals — including two children who were home at the time of the shooting.

One of the children listed in the order is related to Mr. Opoku, prosecutors said.

Family of the victim, including his mother, brother and cousin attended the arraignment. Mr. Opoku’s cousin was also present.

Both Mr. Coleman and Mr. Opoku are due back in court Tuesday.

[email protected]

Comments

comments