There are several ceremonies scheduled for Tuesday in recognition of Veterans Day on the North Fork. There’s also a “Veterans Day Dinner” event that’s running from noon to 9 p.m. today, Monday, in Greenport.
See below for a complete list of events.
• In Southold, the American Legion Post 803 Ladies Auxiliary is hosting a ceremony at 11 a.m. in front of the post.
During the event, the auxiliary will present Sgt. Luis Remache with a $3,500 gift card to Raymour & Flanagan to purchase furniture for his new home. Sgt. Remache lost both his legs in Afghanistan in June 2o11 and Homes for Our Troops is building a house for him and his wife in Manorville.
• The annual Veterans Day ceremony is at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the World War I monument in Riverhead, on the grounds of the Suffolk County Historical Society at 300 West Main Street. Refreshments follow at American Legion Post on Hubbard Avenue.
• There’s an 11 a.m. skating rink dedication being hosted by member of the Greenport American Legion. The ceremony will be held at 102 3rd Street and honor the memory of George David Costello Sr., who was a U.S. Marine.
The Greenport event will be held rain or shine, with the ceremony moving indoors if there’s inclement weather.
Call Pete Reiter for more information at 477-9729.
• There’s an ongoing “Veterans Day Dinner” event at Skipper’s Restaurant from noon to 9 p.m. today, Monday, at 4545 Main Road in Greenport.
Proceeds benefit the Greenport American Legion Hall. Tickets are a $20 donation. Call Pete Reiter at 477-9729.
• Southold Rotary Club is welcoming veterans in the area to attend a special dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Soundview restaurant in Greenport. The dinner is free to veterans.
The event will also feature an expert speaker on veteran affairs, and literature outlining benefits for veterans.