Fire marshal: Cigarette embers ignited fire in Calverton home

03/09/2015 11:58 AM |
DSC_0020

The Youngs Avenue home was destroyed by Sunday’s fire. (Credit: Cyndi Murray)

A fire that tore apart a Calverton home, displaced several people and killed three cats on Sunday was apparently caused by embers from a cigarette, according to Fire Marshal Dave Andruszkiewicz.

The roof of the house was already fully engulfed when Riverhead Fire Department crews responded to the Calverton home,  Third Assistant Chief Tim Corwin said. Flanders Fire Department also responded and the Jamesport Fire Department was on standby at RFD headquarters, he said.

Homeowner A.J. Travis outside the home Monday morning. (Credit: Cyndi Murray)

A.J. Travis outside the home Monday morning. (Credit: Cyndi Murray)

“The majority of the damage was contained to the attic,” said Chief Corwin, adding that firefighters were on the scene for an hour and 45 minutes.

A man who identified himself as homeowner A.J. Travis — though town records indicate Brian Trafford and Suzanna Manion own the home — said on Monday morning that six people escaped from the fire, which started around 1:30 p.m.

Mr. Travis, his wife and son managed to escape the fire along with the three other people in the home, though the family’s three cats were killed, Mr. Travis said.

The family is now staying at an area hotel, he said.

Though the flames and water damage destroyed most of the family’s belongings, Mr. Travis said they are thankful for the outpouring of support from the community.

“The entire neighborhood has offered us a place to stay and keeps asking if we need anything they can get for us,” he said.

Comments

comments