Five people were arrested during Stop DWI patrols in Riverhead on St. Patrick’s Day, Riverhead Town police said.
Police set up three sobriety checkpoints within the town between 4 p.m. Tuesday and 1 a.m. Wednesday morning. The checkpoints were conducted on Route 105 south of Route 25, East Main Street near Elton Avenue and on Peconic Avenue.
The checkpoints resulted in numerous summonses being issued for traffic violations such as unlicensed driving, driving with a suspended license, driving without a seat belt and using a cellphone while driving, according to police.
Three were charged with driving drunk, including one who was arrested following a crash, police said. One person was arrested for driving without a license and another on an outstanding warrant, police said.
Four people were held awaiting morning arraignment and one was released on bail.
Riverhead police arrested the following people:
• Avery C. Ward, 26, of Ridge is charged with DWI- Drug and criminal possession of a control substance.
• William O. Perez, 26, of Riverhead is charged with DWI-Drugs.
• Joseph A. Ross Jr., 35, of Riverhead is charged with DWI.
• Leonardo Moran, 24, of Riverhead is charged with aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.
• Cedric J. Gilbert, 27, of Hampton Bays was arrested on a warrant.