• A support group for caregivers who look after the elderly or chronically ill will meet Tuesday, May 19, from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. at the Southold Town Senior Center on Pacific Street in Mattituck. Call 298-4460 for information.
• A community blood drive will be held Thursday, May 21, from 8 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. in the conference room at Eastern Long Island Hospital. Walk-ins are welcome. Call 477-5100.
• Steven Smyth, administrator of San Simeon by the Sound Center for Nursing, Rehabilitation and Adult Day Health Care, has received the 2015 Eli Pick Leadership Award from the American College of Health Care Administrators. According to a release, the award goes to skilled nursing facility administrators “whose teams have achieved dimensions of organizational quality that few others have been able to reach,” based on three years of specific survey data.
• San Simeon by the Sound has also announced assistant nursing director Betsy Dzenkowski as its employee of the month for May. A member of San Simeon’s team for 14 years, according to a release, she joined the facility due to a desire for professional challenge. “I learn something new every day,” she said. “Working here is very rewarding.”
Nursing director Surinder Arora said, “Betsy is the one person who is always there when someone needs help.”
• Cultural arts coordinator Dominic Antignano has been named May’s employee of the month at Peconic Landing. Since 2007, he has “made his mark” at the facility, according to a release, with accomplishments that include leveraging technology to bring ballet, theater, films and lectures to Peconic Landing’s auditorium; making it the only such facility in the world to simulcast live Metropolitan Opera performances; and creating the North Fork’s only outdoor sculpture garden.
Patricia Lutzky, vice president of resident services, said: “One of the hardest-working employees at Peconic Landing, Dominic brings an intense enthusiasm and an unparalleled joy to his work.”
To send Health Beat news, email [email protected], fax to 298-3287, or mail to Times/Review Newspapers, P.O. Box 1500, Mattituck, NY 11952. Copy deadline: Friday at 5 p.m. to appear the following week.