Clerks at six local stores were busted Wednesday in a police sting operation that found the employees sold alcohol to minors, Riverhead Town police said.
The Riverhead Town Police Departments C.O.P.E. Unit conducted New York State Liquor Authority compliance checks and found the following establishments were in violation of selling alcohol to patrons under the age of 21, according to a police press release:
• The Thirsty Cellar, 6324 Rt. 25A, Wading River.
• Village Beverage, 2051 North Country Rd., Wading River.
• Alpine Wine and Liquor, 6249 Rt. 25A, Wading River.
• Valero, 4904 Rt 25A, Wading River.
• The Wine Depot, 1968 Old Country Rd., Riverhead.
• 7-Eleven, 1733 Old Country Rd., Riverhead.
Police said the following clerks were arrested and charged with first-degree unlawfully dealing with a child:
• Lynn Knopfke, 71 of Rocky Point.
• Michael Sheehan, 18, of Wading River.
• Brian Love, 30, Port Jefferson Station.
• Shah Hasan, 42, Middle Island.
• Anthony Maneri, 24, East Moriches.
• Orcun Unsal, 28, Mattituck.
Photo: Top row from left, Orcun Unsal, Shah Hasan and Brian Love. Bottom row from left, Michael Sheehan, Lynn Knopfke and Anthony Maneri. (Credit: Riverhead Town police)