A Riverhead man told police Saturday morning that he received a telephone call from an unknown woman stating she was from the Internal Revenue Service and that the man is being sued for back taxes, police said.
Officials from the IRS say this type of call, which has been reported throughout the country, is a scam and that the IRS rarely initiates contact with people by phone and doesn’t request credit card numbers by phone, either.
• A woman was spotting stealing a pair of sneakers around 8 p.m. Friday from Stride Rite at Tanger Outlets Friday and then taking off toward Route 58 in a white Cadillac, police said. The value of the stolen sneakers was about $30, authorities said.
• Four boxes of household items were reported stolen from an unlocked storage container in the driveway of a home on Jakes Lane in Calverton, police said. The incident was reported around 4:30 p.m. Sunday.
• A Riverhead man told police Saturday that an unknown person used his Suffolk County Federal Credit Union debit card’s PIN number to remove $500 from his account on Aug 12, authorities said.
• A purse containing credit cards, cash, car keys and other items was reported stolen from an unlocked car on Roberts Path in Wading River Saturday at 1:22 p.m., police said.
• New York City police said they located a 2006 Kawasaki motorcycle that had been reported stolen from Riverhead Town more than a year ago, authorities said.
• A bicycle was reported stolen from an unsecured shed at a home on Cottage Lane in Riverhead Saturday morning, police said. The estimated value of the stolen bicycle is about $50.
• A woman was spotting removing assorted clothing items from Walmart on Route 58 Saturday at 1:25 p.m., police said.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.