Cops: Nine people treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

02/24/2016 9:00 AM |

Nine people were taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center for treatment of possible carbon monoxide poisoning from a home on Sweezy Avenue in Riverhead last Wednesday night, Riverhead Town police said. 

The Riverhead Fire Department initially responded to a carbon monoxide alarm around 8 p.m. and discovered that an oil burner wasn’t functioning and that there was a fuel oil spill in the basement, police said.

The fire department requested an ambulance, but police said all of the residents refused treatment so the ambulance was told to disregard the call.

A town fire marshal responded and interviewed 14 residents of the house. While doing so, some of the residents began to vomit, police said.

Ambulances from both the Riverhead Volunteer Ambulance and the Flanders Northampton Volunteer Ambulance were then called. Nine residents were taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center.

Each of the residents was told they couldn’t return be inside the residence until the landlord could be contacted by the fire marshal’s office, the oil spill was cleaned and the burner was replaced, police said. The fire marshal’s office, which is investigating the case, has made housing arrangements for all the residents, police said.

sweezyAve

Comments

comments