Featured Story

Firefighters, police rescue woman from home in Jamesport

01/24/2017 1:05 PM |

Jamesport_Kitchen_fire

Jamesport firefighters rescued a woman from a home on Sound Shore Road in Northville Tuesday morning after she was unable to evacuate during a small kitchen fire, according to a press release.

The fire department responded to a call of a smoke alarm at about 9:40 a.m. The firefighters and Riverhead Town police officers who first arrived found the door locked with smoke visible inside. They could hear and see a woman, who is 97, at the door who was unable to reach or open the door. A forcible entry team, consisting of firefighters Joe Szot, Dan Doroski and Chris Goff, forced the door open with the assistance of Riverhead police to remove the victim.

The woman was treated for smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide exposure by Riverhead Ambulance volunteers and transported to Peconic Bay Medical Center, according to the Jamesport fire officials.

Firefighters determined the source of the smoke came from food burning on the stove and the fire was quickly extinguished. The town fire marshal is investigating. There was no damage to the home.

Jamesport Chief John Andrejack reminded residents of the importance of smoke detectors to avert possible tragedy.

Photo caption: Jamesport firefighters on scene Tuesday morning. (Credit: Jamesport Fire Department)

Comments

comments