• The Riverhead School District, Shoreham-Wading River School District and Bishop McGann-Mercy High School all will be closed Wednesday due to the blizzard, according to the districts’ websites.
Check back with riverheadnewsreview.com for up-to-date weather details, including school closings and event cancellations.
Below are uppdates on school closings, delays, early dismissals and event cancellations.
As of 10:30 a.m. Monday
Riverhead Central School District:
• Children attending school at Aquebogue, Phillips, Riley and Roanoke elementary schools will be dismissed at 12 p.m. on Monday. Pulaski Middle School and Riverhead High School will be dismissed at the usual time Monday.
• All Riverhead schools and offices will be closed Tuesday.
• Tuesday’s school board meeting is cancelled.
Shoreham-Wading River School District:
The Shoreham-Wading River middle and high schools will be dismissed at noon on Monday. The elementary schools will follow at 1 p.m.
Shoreham-Wading River school will be closed Tuesday.
Bishop McGann-Mercy High School:
• Mercy is dismissing at noon Monday and will be closed Tuesday.
• Suffolk County Community College has cancelled all classes for Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Stony Brook University has cancelled all classes for Monday and Tuesday.
Check back with riverheadnewsreview.com for up-to-date weather details.
A plow clears snow near the entrance to Wildwood State Park in Wading River Saturday morning. (Credit: Joe Werkmeister)
Riverhead Town residents awoke today, Saturday, to find about two inches of wet white snow had coated the outdoors overnight, though the snowfall had already turned to rain by daybreak. (more…)
Ioanna and Manolis Kavvadias cooking up vegetables for soup Friday morning at Greek Bites Grill in Mattituck. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)
I’m a sandwich man.
Whether it’s ham and cheese, a hamburger, pulled pork or a lamb gyro, I’m often happier at lunch than I am at dinner.
Even when I’m out to dinner, I find myself ordering from the restaurant’s sandwich menu. Sometimes my fellow diners take this as a signal that we’re all supposed to order burgers or chicken sandwiches instead of entrées to save money on the total dinner bill. Not true. (more…)
George Nunnaro was named to the town Planning Board. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)
Newly appointed Planning Board member George Nunnaro of Baiting Hollow says he applied for the position “to give back.” (more…)
Friends of the Library Photo Show chairwoman Thelma Booker in 2014. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch, file)
Lots of people have drive and vision. What sets Thelma Booker apart from the rest is a better understanding of how the world works. At 80 years old, she knows how to get from point A to point B. And she’s willing to share that information with anyone. (more…)
Steve Bellone signs the new tobacco law in October, raising the age limit to 21 for tobacco purchases. (Credit: Courtesy)
Suffolk County officials want residents to know that today, New Year’s Day, marks the first day the 21-or-over law goes into effect for the sale of tobacco and liquid nicotine products.
Prior to Jan. 1, it had been illegal to sell those items to anyone under age 19. (more…)
Tim Bishop addressed the crowd on Election Day Nov. 4 after losing to Republican Lee Zeldin. (Credit: Robert O’Rourk)
It was the year of the Republicans in Congressional midterms and other elections across the U.S. (more…)