Words in next month’s spelling bee at Jamesport Meeting House will range from middle-school difficulty through adult level. Above are winning words from the National Spelling Bee. (Credit: Danielle Doll)
Blame it on the alcohol.
Phil Cardinale, an attorney and former Riverhead Town supervisor, was eating spaghetti and drinking merlot at Grana in Jamesport two weeks ago when his friends and fellow diners, Steve and Ellen Berger, told him they were hosting a first-ever community spelling bee May 23 to benefit the upkeep and restoration of the historic Jamesport Meeting House. (more…)
Jeanne Scott, right, holding her grandchild, Dylan Ryan, outside Landscape Adventure in Jamesport. Pictured with her daughters, from left, Julie Murphy holding her daughter, Sophie, Katie Scott Ryan and Rebecca Riccio. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)
Jeanne Scott, owner of Landscape Adventure in Northville, remembers a time when the supermarket didn’t carry flowers and big-box stores like Lowe’s and Home Depot — with all their plants and garden products — didn’t exist.
In this undated postcard, campers play on the lawn of the Saint Thomas Home in East Marion, which provided a summer respite for hundreds of New York City children from 1893 to 1925. (Credit: Oysterponds Historical Society)
East 60th Street, New York City.
It’s a fashionable address now, but at the turn of the last century the neighborhood was home to hundreds of Irish and German immigrants, many of whom lived in crowded, unclean tenements and were parishioners at nearby Saint Thomas Episcopal Church.
In the late 19th century, Saint Thomas provided a number of social services to families living in the tenements. Among these was the introduction of a summer camp for children at a 75-acre property on Long Island Sound in East Marion, 100 miles away.
The property was purchased for $4,485.40 using part of a donation received from a New York City philanthropist. The camp was established so the church could offer city boys and girls an opportunity to get away to the North Fork for two- to four-week stays, during which they could benefit from fresh sea air and exercise.
The children had, as a church bulletin from the period stated, “perfect freedom to wander where they would.”
And until 1925 — the year the camp dissolved amid mounting repair costs — that’s just what children did at the Saint Thomas Summer Home: They wandered. They played.
Read more on northforker.com.
Patrick Gaeta preparing his North Fork Bacon last year. (Credit: Rachel Young, file)
Get your wet naps out, barbecue fans: North Fork Bacon & Smokehouse has opened its doors in downtown Wading River.
Read all about it on northforker.com
Kellie Griffith courtesy photo.
Riverhead native Kellie Griffith had trouble believing the April 1 email she received telling her she had been accepted as a 2014-15 Fulbright Scholar was genuine, given the date. (more…)
The Stirling Historical Society building. (Credit: Rachel Young)
If you’re not looking for it, Greenport’s Stirling Historical Society is easy to miss.
Tucked among several commercial buildings on Main Street, the plain but attractive white, two-story house with green shutters blends into its surroundings. But inside the 1831 property, called the Margaret E. Ireland House in honor of a former resident, there is a story always waiting to be told.
Read more on northforker.com.
A free rabies vaccination clinic will be held April 5 at Polish Hall in Riverhead. (File photo)
Attention, pet owners: a free rabies vaccination clinic will be held Saturday, April 5 at Polish Hall in Riverhead. (more…)
Wading River Deli will donate the proceeds from sales made this Sunday to the Dalecki family, who lose their Wading River home in a fire earlier this month. (Paul Squire photo)
If you find yourself hankering for a hero this weekend then stop by Wading River Deli, whose owners plan to donate the proceeds made from each purchase between 6 a.m. and 3 p.m. Sunday to the family of Jean and George Dalecki, who lost their Wading River home in a fire earlier this month. (more…)