08/22/14 6:00am
08/22/2014 6:00 AM
The bride and groom: Jocelyn Podlas and Gene Senendlewski. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)

The bride and groom: Jocelyn Podlas and Gene Senendlewski. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)

Congratulations to Bob and Mary Raffel, two awesome people who just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and renewed their vows. They had a wonderful party attended by family and friends. Mary and Bob, I love you both dearly and wish you lots of love and happiness in your future together. We had a great time celebrating with you. God bless and congratulations! (more…)

08/21/14 5:00am
08/21/2014 5:00 AM
Michael McShane of Laurel was the winner of the Sound to Bay 5K last year. (Credit: Daniel De Mato)

Michael McShane of Laurel was the winner of the Sound to Bay 5K last year. (Credit: Daniel De Mato)

Congratulations to Dorothy and Donald Frank, who celebrated their 66th wedding anniversary Aug. 15. Lots of love and good health from your family and friends.

The weekend I’ve been waiting for has arrived. Jamesport Fire Department’s Sound to Bay 10K/5K run will be held Sunday, Aug. 24, at 9 a.m. (more…)

08/19/14 10:20am
08/19/2014 10:20 AM
This hydrant on E. Main Street will be painted soon. (Credit: Claire Leaden)

This hydrant on E. Main Street will be painted soon. (Credit: Claire Leaden)

Fire hydrants are a prime example of functionality over aesthetics. They’ll get you water in an emergency, but no one’s ever insisted they have to look good doing it.

Still, the folks at East End Arts believe it wouldn’t hurt to try. (more…)

08/18/14 10:00am
08/18/2014 10:00 AM
Rabbi Michael Rascoe, center, is tk. (Credit: Jennifer Gustavson photos)

Rabbi Michael Rascoe, center, meeting with community members during a welcoming BBQ at Temple Israel of Riverhead Sunday night. From left, Herb and Fran Dresher of Riverhead, and Elaine and Charles Kimpel of Babylon Village. (Credit: Jennifer Gustavson photos)

Temple Israel of Riverhead hosted a barbecue dinner Sunday night to welcome its newest leader.

In between munching on BBQ favorites like hamburgers and roasted corn, community members greeted Rabbi Michael Rascoe, who had served at the L’Chaim Center in Houston, Tex., prior to coming to Riverhead.

“It’s my kind of community — rural and diverse,” he said about his new home. “I’m enjoying meeting people in the community. They’re very nice and friendly.”

Rabbi Rascoe said his goals include growing the congregation and enhancing the temple’s social and educational programs.

(more…)

08/18/14 8:00am
(Credit: Tim Gannon)

(Credit: Tim Gannon)

Hundreds of planes, jets and helicopters converged on the western runway at the Enterprise Park at Calverton Saturday and then flew around the area for most of the day.

All of them weighed less than 50 pounds.

Saturday was “National Model Aviation Day” and Edgewood Flyers of Deer Park celebrated by having a model aviation “fly-in” at EPCAL.   (more…)

08/18/14 7:00am
Dean Yaxa of Southold shucks clams and oysters.

Dean Yaxa of Southold shucks clams and oysters at Sunday’s ‘Cluck and Muck’ fundraiser in Cutchogue. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder photos).

Southold Indian Museum hosted a “Cluck and Muck” fundraiser Sunday night at McCall Wines in Cutchogue.

Fried chicken, steamers, clams, mussels and lobster were all on the menu along with a selection of local wines and beer.

The event also featured live music by Points East and a silent auction of artwork and gift packages.

(more…)

08/17/14 11:06am
08/17/2014 11:06 AM
Marco and Ann Borghese. (Credit: Jane Starwood file photo)

Marco and Ann Borghese. (Credit: Jane Starwood file photo)

Marco Borghese might have been a prince in his native Italy, but those who knew him here remembered him as a man with an approachability that belied his noble roots.

“He never needed the spotlight,” his son Fernando told a crowd of mourners at Our Lady Of Ostrabrama Church in Cutchogue. “He was always more concerned about everybody else around him.”

Read more from the service on northforker.com

08/17/14 5:00am
Crab cakes from Orient by the Sea. (Credit: Vera Chinese)

Crab cakes from Orient by the Sea. (Credit: Vera Chinese)

It seems I’ve failed. During past weeks, I’ve spent so much time searching for something that appears not to exist. And all because of a great big sign I saw outside Modern Snack Bar on Main Road in Aquebogue.

The sign read “The Best Crabs Are Here.” Now I know our North Fork has the best of many things. From beaches to bays, to warm summer days, we are blessed. But crabs? I knew I’d have to investigate.  (more…)