04/19/15 5:12pm
04/19/2015 5:12 PM

DSC_1664

Tinamarie Cantanese of Baiting Hollow brought a mason jar of freshly squeezed tomato juice to stand out among the competition. And Bridget Senefelder of Miller Place hoped a bottle of Jim Beam Devil’s Cut 90 would get her noticed.

No, a can of V8 juice and a celery stalk wasn’t going to cut it for the the judges in the bloody mary contest at the second annual North Fork Horseradish Festival on Sunday.

Read all about this year’s winner and see more photos from the event at northforker.com.

04/19/15 6:00am

April Fools’ Day was a while back so I’m writing about April Foolishness. If you find anything serious in this, call the authorities.

Blond guy answers the phone, listens and says, “It certainly is” and hangs up. Seconds later the same thing happens: “It certainly is,” he says again. After the third time his wife asks what’s going on. He says, “Someone keeps saying, ‘It’s a long distance from Seattle.’ ”  (more…)

04/18/15 2:00pm
04/18/2015 2:00 PM
Heather Riley took home the title of Miss Congeniality at the 2013 Miss Long Island Pageant. (Credit: courtesy photo)

Heather Riley took home the title of Miss Congeniality at the 2013 Miss Long Island Pageant. She has her sights set on a new title this year. (Credit: courtesy photo)

She’s a model. An actress. A beauty pageant contestant. And an Air National Guardsman.

Heather Riley, a 2008 Riverhead High School graduate, has her sights set on another accomplishment — the title of Miss U.S. International. (more…)

04/18/15 12:00pm
Suffolk County historian Peter Fox Cohalan (left) dedicates the Suffolk County Historical Society's new gallery to Noel Gish (right) Thursday. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)

Suffolk County historian Peter Fox Cohalan (left) dedicates the Suffolk County Historical Society’s new gallery to Noel Gish (right) Thursday. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)

Less than a year ago, the Suffolk County Historical Society’s east wing was “nothing but a big closet,” said Bob Barauskas, president of the Riverhead organization’s board of trustees.

Not anymore. On Thursday evening, the newly restored former storage room was dedicated as the Noel J. Gish Sr. Gallery during a ceremony attended by nearly 125 people. (more…)

04/18/15 7:00am

If you heard a happy yell Sunday afternoon, that was me. It finally reached 60 degrees. For a minute it seemed like this winter wasn’t ever going to end. Now May is coming, and sometime during the second week I’ll make the trip to Oneonta one last time until August. I don’t mind it really — it’s nice to spend some alone time with my baby girl and catch up. (more…)

04/18/15 6:00am

• The Old Town Arts and Crafts Guild in Cutchogue will present the exhibit and sale ‘Historical Art Collection of the North Fork’ from April 18 to 26. The artists whose work is featured are Angela Raso, Joseph Beckwith Hartranft, Larry Waitz, Helen Kroeger, Dorothy Whitehead, Jay Throne, Gertrude Ali, Laura McBride, Stow Wengenroth and Whitney Hubbard.

The show will be open Saturdays, April 18 and 25, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays, April 19 and 26, noon to 5 p.m. (more…)