10/17/14 8:00am
10/17/2014 8:00 AM
Friends of the Big Duck Ranch vice president Fran Cobb (from left) in the Big Duck Museum's newly renovated barn with co-curators Lisa Dabrowski and David Wilcox. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)

Friends of the Big Duck Ranch vice president Fran Cobb (from left) in the Big Duck Museum’s newly renovated barn with co-curators Lisa Dabrowski and David Wilcox. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)

It’s an industry that once defined the area. And while duck farming has faded over the past several decades, Friends of the Big Duck are determined to keep Long Island’s history in the business alive and well in Flanders for future generations to learn about.

“Most people have no idea how large the [duck] industry was out here,” said Lisa Dabrowski, co-curator of the Big Duck Museum, which opens its doors Saturday. “I am looking forward to seeing the reaction when visitors see how inspiring the industry really was.”  (more…)

10/16/14 7:59am
10/16/2014 7:59 AM
Yating Liu (right) meets with Annie Wieland, the store manager who discovered her purse at Tanger Outlets earlier this month. Ms. Wieland had the purse sent halfway around the world to China, hoping to return it to its owner. (Credit: Paul Squire)

Yating Liu (right) meets with Annie Wieland, the store manager who discovered her purse at Tanger Outlets earlier this month. Ms. Wieland had the purse sent halfway around the world to China, hoping to return it to its owner. (Credit: Paul Squire)

One of the first things Yating Liu did when she came to the United States in late August was buy herself a little blue purse.

Ting, as friends call her, is a native of China who is currently a junior exchange student at McGann-Mercy High School in Riverhead. She said she bought the purse, which is about six inches long and looks more like an oversized wallet, while shopping with her host mother, Joan Sattler of Hampton Bays, and Fiona Yang, another international student living with her at Ms. Sattler’s home.

Ting needed a new purse for her nearly year-long stay in the country. After purchasing it, she filled it with bank and identification cards, family photos and hundreds of American dollars.

But less than a week later, the purse was gone — lost while shopping at Tanger Outlets in Riverhead.

“I got very nervous about it,” Ting, 16, told the News-Review.

(more…)

10/14/14 10:00am
10/14/2014 10:00 AM
JOSEPH PINCIARO PHOTO | A member of the Riverhead VFW salutes the flag on Veterans Day 2013.

JOSEPH PINCIARO PHOTO | A member of the Riverhead VFW salutes the flag on Veterans Day 2013.

Liz Stokes recalled the day she asked about how Riverhead Town helps out its local veterans.

“I walked into Town Hall and said, ‘We have a handicapped committee, a parking committee, litter control. Do we have a veterans committee?’” she said this week. “I was told, ‘No. Do you want to start one?’ So I said, ‘Yeah, I guess. I’ll start one.’

(more…)