01/22/15 7:00am
01/22/2015 7:00 AM

Happy New Year! Hope this year is a great one for all of us.

Karen Glover, Gwen Mack, Harriet McDonald and Ann Cummings of New Vision Pioneers, Aquebogue Life Member Club delivered nonperishable food along with supermarket gift cards to St. Isidore’s food pantry in Riverhead. Ditty bags were also distributed to the clients at Peconic Retreat in Cutchogue. ALMC members dedicate themselves to several projects that benefit our community.  (more…)

01/19/15 4:57pm
01/19/2015 4:57 PM
Robert "Bubbie" Brown, seen here in an undated photo, was honored at Monday's MLK Memorial Breakfast. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch, file)

Robert “Bubbie” Brown, seen here in an undated photo, was honored at Monday’s Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Breakfast. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch, file)

This year’s Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Breakfast in Hauppauge marked the 30th anniversary of the event. But the annual breakfast — sponsored by the First Baptist Church of Riverhead and the Rev. Charles Coverdale — was special for more than its noteworthy recurrence.

Local advocate and civic leader Robert “Bubbie” Brown of Riverside was honored Monday for his many years of service to the community. Mr. Brown — the News-Review’s Public Servant of the Year in 2010 — spoke with the newspaper Monday to reflect on Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy and what must still be done to fulfill his dream. (more…)

01/17/15 7:00am
01/17/2015 7:00 AM

Well hello, dear readers. It’s nice to be back. I truly missed you and being able to attempt to be entertaining and informative in this space. I trust that your holidays were relaxing and joyous spending time with your family and friends during this festive season.  (more…)

01/16/15 7:00am
01/16/2015 7:00 AM

I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays. My family had a great time this Christmas; the little ones entertained us quite nicely. Children have an uncanny ability of making everything more cheerful. I guess seeing things through their eyes brings us back to when we were that age. It’s awesome!  (more…)

01/16/15 7:00am
Jennifer Callaghan lets go of a red balloon in memory of her husband James. (Credit: Carrie Miller)

Jennifer Callaghan lets go of a red balloon in memory of her husband James. (Credit: Carrie Miller)

Among the hugs and tears shed beside an all too familiar stretch of Main Road Friday morning, laughs and lanterns filled the air long before the sun came up in remembrance of James Callaghan, a Jamesport man who was killed in a hit-and-run while jogging on a foggy Jan. 16 morning just one year ago.

More than 20 people joined at the sign bordering Riverhead and Southold towns at 5:45 a.m., about the same time police believe Mr. Callaghan may have been struck by a “blue metallic” vehicle that fled the scene.

(more…)