11/16/14 10:00am
11/16/2014 10:00 AM

KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA

About six months ago, Phyllis Lombardi called a friend and former Suffolk Times colleague to ask for a ride to Best Buy so she could replace her broken computer.

She was nearing the end of a long battle with cancer, but Phyllis told her friend Meg Marcus that she mostly needed the new computer to continue writing her column. Even as her health deteriorated, she managed to file several pieces in advance. Only two had not yet been published when she died last week.  (more…)

11/15/14 6:00am

Last night at the church where I am a cantor, I was honored when my priest asked me to sing a song to the veterans who served our country. I sang “America the Beautiful.” It is the veterans who have made this country great, fighting on land and sea and in the air to protect our freedom. I salute all veterans, now and always.  (more…)

11/14/14 6:00am
11/14/2014 6:00 AM

Our Redeemer Lutheran Church is an active participant in Operation Christmas Child, a wonderful outreach that provides shoeboxes full of practical and fun gifts for needy children around the world. The mission statement at samaritanspurse.org, the organization that leads OCC, reads: “Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. (more…)

11/12/14 6:00am
The first performance of 'Godspell' is scheduled for Friday at the (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)

The first performance of ‘Godspell’ is scheduled for Friday at the Jamesport Meeting House. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)

Riverhead Faculty and Community Theater will present the Stephen Schwartz musical “Godspell” for two weekends at the Jamesport Meeting House.

(more…)

11/08/14 6:00am
11/08/2014 6:00 AM

• Have breakfast with master printmaker Dan Welden at 10 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 9, at The South Street Gallery in Greenport.

Mr. Welden, who’s also a painter and author, will talk about his recent residency at the renowned printing facility in Guanlan, China, and show his work from that time. While there he was a keynote speaker at the Guanlan Print Art Museum, the largest print museum in the world.  (more…)

11/07/14 6:00am
11/07/2014 6:00 AM

November is here and with it came some really cold temperatures and wind. I think I even saw a flurry or two on Sunday. Many of you know how much I hate winter and being cold. I’m already counting down the number of days until spring — 133! I’m also counting down the days until my baby girl Kaitlyn comes home from college for Thanksgiving break — 18! This first semester has really gone by quick. I miss her so much but am so proud of how well she’s doing. Thanks to everyone who asks how she is. She’s doing fabulous!  (more…)