02/02/17 3:19pm
02/02/2017 3:19 PM

Old Steeple Community Church is currently collecting canned soup to donate to the Long Island Council of Churches’ food pantry. The drive is called “Souper Bowl” — a timely name, especially for sports fans. The collection will end Feb. 12. For more details and directions to drop-off donations, call the church at 631-722-3070.

(more…)

02/02/17 3:18pm

Congratulations to the Shoreham-Wading River high school band and orchestra musicians who have attained All State status: J. Desideria, A. Meli, R. Radonavitch and J. Searing. May this achievement bring you success and help to take you far in your post-high school career. Congratulations also to all the music teachers who taught them.

(more…)

02/02/17 3:11pm

Happy February. I’m personally ready for spring to begin as there hasn’t been near enough snow to satisfy me. I’m quite ready to be warm and watch the crocuses pop out of the ground, which has already been happening in some of the warmer yards around town.

Great news! Kent Animal Shelter has received a $15,000 grant from Pet Peeves to provide medical assistance to rescued dogs and (more…)

02/01/17 5:42pm
02/01/2017 5:42 PM

As director of animal training at the Long Island Aquarium in Riverhead, Candyce Paparo’s responsibilities extend far beyond playing with monkeys and sea lions. In fact, Paparo spends more than 10 hours a day caring for the facility’s mammals — a job she and her team of eight trainers and assistants all relish.

“I just got into the marine mammal field and never looked back,” she said. (more…)

01/26/17 3:20pm
01/26/2017 3:20 PM

St_Patrick_Jamesport_ss_12

The East End Emerald Society is set to kickoff its St. Patrick’s Day celebrations next month at its fourth annual Grand Marshal Event.

The event, scheduled for 5 p.m. Feb. 25 at Jason’s Vineyard in Jamesport, will feature this year’s Grand Marshal: Riverhead Town Councilman James Wooten.

READ

01/26/17 2:52pm

St. David’s School starts 2017 with 103 children and 22 staff members, and a great enthusiasm for the year. While director Eric Hazer is no longer with St. David’s, Louise Markert and Mother Mary Garde will continue operations and enjoy the challenges of the new year.

Riverhead Free Library will host a meet and greet Sunday, Jan. 29, from 2 to 4 p.m. Come meet new library director Kerrie McMullen-Smith, new library manager Jim Provencher and the new department heads. While at the library, venture into the (more…)