06/30/15 1:00am

From left, the Rev. Nathaniel Heyward and Valerie Shelby of the Clinton Memorial AME Zion Church in Greenport at Monday’s vigil. (Credit: Jen Nuzzo video and photos)

As Valerie Shelby looked at a crowd of about 200 people in Greenport on Monday night, she asked the group to name flowers.

After several different flowers were called out, Ms. Shelby started listing each color.

“Don’t you see?” she asked. “Together, they make a beautiful bouquet. We have to stop fighting each other.”

Ms. Shelby and Loretta Hatzel-Geraci, both of the Southold Town Anti-Bias Task Force, organized Monday’s candlelight vigil to express solidarity with the victims killed June 17 at a church in Charleston, S.C.

(more…)

06/27/15 4:58pm
06/27/2015 4:58 PM
Riverhead_Grad_04

A pair of soon-to-be grads walk to their seats on Saturday morning. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)

The Riverhead High School Class of 2015 celebrated its graduation on Saturday morning at McKillop Memorial Football Field.

Valedictorian Noah Markewitz and salutatorian Emily Behr both spoke to the crowd, which was listening to a brand new set of stands at the renovated field.

For a complete list of graduates and bios on the valedictorian and salutatorian, pick up a copy of the July 2 News-Review for the special graduation section.

Scroll through for more photos of the graduates.

Photos by Katharine Schroeder

Valedictorian Noah Markewitz speaks.

Valedictorian Noah Markewitz speaks.

Riverhead_Grad_07 Riverhead_Grad_09

Riverhead_Grad_43 Riverhead_Grad_44 (more…)

06/27/15 6:00am
"Green Leaves" by Karen Bell.

“Green Leaves” by Karen Bell.

• “Translucent,” photographs by Karen Bell and Ennid Berger, will be on view June 27 to Aug. 9 at Alex Ferrone Photography Gallery in Cutchogue. An artists’ reception is set for 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday, June 27.

Ms. Bell’s use of “natural curiosities” in “combined photographic images on airy layers of vellum over paper” will be shown alongside “delicate images from chance encounters found with greenery fragments and petals afloat in still waters,” according to a press release.  (more…)

06/26/15 7:00am
06/26/2015 7:00 AM

Happy summer 2015, everyone! I hope this summer doesn’t fly by as quickly as last summer. Then again, last summer I was planning a graduation party and getting ready to bring my daughter to college, so of course it went quickly for me. This summer should be a little calmer. After moving twice in the last month, picking up Kate from college for summer break and then arranging to have a surgical procedure this month, let’s just say I can really use a non-stressful summer.  (more…)

06/25/15 7:00am
06/25/2015 7:00 AM

Riverhead Fire Department’s Ladies Auxiliary held its June meeting on the 10th at Meeting House Creek Inn, with president Connie Kenter presiding. At the meeting, three women were honored for their membership/service: Billee Friszolowski, 68-year member, serving since 1990 as Sgt. at Arms; Louise Leja, 60-year member; and Patricia Gadzinski, 26-year member. Each was given a beautiful hanging flower basket and presented with a proclamation from Town Supervisor Sean Walter, Sen. Ken LaValle, County Legislator Al Krupski and Assemblyman Anthony Palumbo. Billee also received a certificate recognizing her 25 years serving as Sgt. at Arms. A single red rose was also given to the ladies as a memento. Everyone enjoyed the evening.  (more…)

06/24/15 5:14pm
06/24/2015 5:14 PM
For those not from the area, Aquebogue can be tricky to spell. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)

For those not from the area, Aquebogue can be tricky to spell. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch, file)

The small hamlet of Aquebogue is starting to gain national recognition — for being one of the top 10 most difficult U.S. cities to spell.

According to King Digital Entertainment, the company that conducted the survey, 56 percent of participants couldn’t correctly spell Aquebogue. On average, 64 percent of those who participated misspelled the entirety of the top-10 list.  (more…)

06/23/15 5:42pm
06/23/2015 5:42 PM
(Photo by Stephen Melkisethian/flickr)

All the across the country, people are mourning and holding vigils like this one in Washington, D.C. A local vigil is planned for Monday in Greenport. (Photo by Stephen Melkisethian/flickr)

Lela Heyward received a phone call at midnight last Wednesday from her hometown of Charleston, S.C. She couldn’t believe the news.

Although her nephew didn’t belong to Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, he knew many people there and had just paid a visit the week before.

He called to say there had been a mass shooting at the historic black church and that he was devastated. The church’s pastor was among the dead.

Ms. Heyward, whose husband, the Rev. Nathaniel Heyward, is pastor at Clinton Memorial AME Zion Church in Greenport, said that although she grew up with segregation and left Charleston after high school in 1961, her hometown and its Baptist church have never left her heart.

“I went through the struggles — I had to go out the back door, drink from a separate water fountain and sit at the back of the bus,” she said Monday. “I never felt threatened in church. I always thought of it as a safe place. I’m really hurt and can’t believe it.”

(more…)