07/20/14 2:00pm
07/20/2014 2:00 PM
Mary Dowd of Greenport browses art nouveau titles Saturday at a temporary bookstore operating at Art Sites Gallery in Riverhead. Around 400 art books were donated by the family of Southold resident Bob Peters, who died in December. (Credit: Rachel Young)

Mary Dowd of Greenport browses art nouveau titles Saturday at a temporary bookstore operating at Art Sites Gallery in Riverhead. Around 400 art books were donated by the family of Southold resident Bob Peters, who died in December. (Credit: Rachel Young)

Bob Peters wasn’t an artist, but he deeply appreciated the work of those who were.

So when the avid collector, who lived in Manhattan and had a home in Southold, died unexpectedly in December at age 75, his family found themselves wondering what to do with his massive compendium — particularly his impressive library of thousands of art books.  (more…)

07/18/14 10:00am
07/18/2014 10:00 AM
Suffolk County Historical Society executive director Kathy Curran in the organization's East Wing Gallery Thursday.  Workers are moving furniture and artwork into storage while the space is restored. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)

Suffolk County Historical Society executive director Kathy Curran in the organization’s East Wing Gallery Thursday. Workers are moving furniture and artwork into storage while the space is restored. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)

The Suffolk County Historical Society is one step closer toward giving its East Wing Gallery a makeover. (more…)

07/17/14 9:37am
07/17/2014 9:37 AM
Sal St. George making his Edgar Allen Poe Festival pitch to business leaders in Riverhead Town Hall Wednesday. (Credit: Tim Gannon)

Sal St. George making his Edgar Allen Poe Festival pitch to business leaders in Riverhead Town Hall Wednesday. (Credit: Tim Gannon)

Port Jefferson has hosted a Charles Dickens Festival around Christmastime for the past 13 years. And now, the man who has been instrumental in the success of that event, wants to do something similar in downtown Riverhead: an Edgar Allan Poe Festival. (more…)

07/17/14 6:00am

people-to-people-logo

Christian Hojenski has been very busy these past few months. In February, he attended the National Youth Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C., having been nominated by Col. McCarthy, Riverhead High School ROTC instructor, and sponsored by Envision. Christian was selected to act as commissioner of Immigration and Customs Enforcement and also as an administrator of the Drug Enforcement Agency during the forum. (more…)

07/16/14 3:00pm
07/16/2014 3:00 PM
Matthew William Chizever (Credit: Courtesy photo)

Matthew William Chizever (Credit: Courtesy photo)

Aquebogue native Matthew William Chizever had auditioned for producers of the USA Network’s “Graceland” three or four times before the show runners found the perfect role for him: a villanous sex trafficker named Miles.

“I’ve been in and out of the room with the producers and they always said they really liked me, but they needed something to fit me,” Chizever said in a phone interview. “So this seedy dark human being is what they decided to give me.”

Read more on northforker.com