11/08/14 6:00am
11/08/2014 6:00 AM

• Have breakfast with master printmaker Dan Welden at 10 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 9, at The South Street Gallery in Greenport.

Mr. Welden, who’s also a painter and author, will talk about his recent residency at the renowned printing facility in Guanlan, China, and show his work from that time. While there he was a keynote speaker at the Guanlan Print Art Museum, the largest print museum in the world.  (more…)

11/07/14 6:00am
11/07/2014 6:00 AM

November is here and with it came some really cold temperatures and wind. I think I even saw a flurry or two on Sunday. Many of you know how much I hate winter and being cold. I’m already counting down the number of days until spring — 133! I’m also counting down the days until my baby girl Kaitlyn comes home from college for Thanksgiving break — 18! This first semester has really gone by quick. I miss her so much but am so proud of how well she’s doing. Thanks to everyone who asks how she is. She’s doing fabulous!  (more…)

11/06/14 6:00am
11/06/2014 6:00 AM

Meghan Carver, an 11-year-old Riverhead resident, recently participated in the equestrian show at Salt River Farms. She was awarded champion of her division, winning two first places and two second places. Congratulations, Meghan, with lots of love from your grandmother Terry and grandfather Harry Carver. Your family is truly proud of your accomplishment.  (more…)

11/03/14 1:00pm
11/03/2014 1:00 PM
Lois Ross, left, leads the choir at a 2011 practice session of North Fork Chorale.

Lois Ross, left, leads the choir at a 2011 practice session of North Fork Chorale.

Members of the North Fork Chorale gathered at director Lois Ross’ dinning room table Friday morning. The discussion ranged from recent vacations, family updates and the group’s upcoming December concert series.

It is not an uncommon occurrence for members.

“In between songs everyone is talking to each other,” said Chorale treasurer Gene Yourch.

“Friendships come out of our group,” added his wife Mary, the group’s secretary. “There isn’t a person here I wouldn’t move my chair to sit next to. Everyone is family.”

It’s a 78-year tradition and one the Yourchs and other members hope to continue for years to come despite dwindling financial resources.  (more…)

11/03/14 12:00pm
New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo announced last week federal grant money that will be distributed to The Retreat, a domestic violence prevention organization based on the East End.

New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo announced last week federal grant money that will be distributed to The Retreat, a domestic violence prevention organization based on the East End.

The Retreat, an East End nonprofit serving victims of domestic violence, is receiving $75,250 in funding through the Federal Family Violence Prevention and Services Act, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced October 29. (more…)