08/17/14 5:00am
08/17/2014 5:00 AM
Crab cakes from Orient by the Sea. (Credit: Vera Chinese)

Crab cakes from Orient by the Sea. (Credit: Vera Chinese)

It seems I’ve failed. During past weeks, I’ve spent so much time searching for something that appears not to exist. And all because of a great big sign I saw outside Modern Snack Bar on Main Road in Aquebogue.

The sign read “The Best Crabs Are Here.” Now I know our North Fork has the best of many things. From beaches to bays, to warm summer days, we are blessed. But crabs? I knew I’d have to investigate.  (more…)

08/16/14 6:29pm
08/16/2014 6:29 PM
Jerry Halpin and Nancy Reyer teamed up for Saturday's fundraiser at Skydive Long Island. (Credit: Tim Gannon)

Jerry Halpin and Nancy Reyer teamed up for Saturday’s fundraiser at Skydive Long Island. (Credit: Tim Gannon)

Nancy Reyer and her son, Michael Hubbard, had always planned to go skydiving on his 18th birthday.

Michael turned 18 on Saturday, and while he and his mom couldn’t skydive, they found a way to still complete their goal at Skydive Long Island.

(more…)

08/15/14 5:00am
08/15/2014 5:00 AM

Pat and John Kurpetski were pleasantly surprised when their son, John Henry, and their grandson, Logan, visited from Florida for 12 days. During that time they fished at Indian Island and went to Cupsogue Beach. They also enjoyed go-karting and playing laser tag and miniature golf with Logan’s uncle, Robert Kurpetski, his friend Jenn Wicks and her children. (more…)

08/13/14 7:00am
08/13/2014 7:00 AM
Last year's Polish Wedding at the Polish Town Fair and Festival in Riverhead. (Credit: Cyndi Murray, file)

Last year’s Polish Wedding at the Polish Town Fair and Festival in Riverhead. (Credit: Cyndi Murray, file)

August weekends in Riverhead aren’t just about days at the beach, wineries and farmstands. There’s one weekend each year here that’s all about heritage … and having fun.

The 40th annual Polish Town Fair and Polka Festival comes to Riverhead’s Polish Town this Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 16-17.

View the details on northforker.com