10/13/14 8:00am
The 39th annual Riverhead Country Fair featured family-friendly activities, including dancing and a magic show. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder photos)

The 39th annual Riverhead Country Fair featured family-friendly activities, including dancing and a magic show. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder photos)

Thousands of people visited downtown Riverhead on Sunday for the 39th annual Riverhead Country Fair.

Vendors lined Main Street and the waterfront and sold a variety of goods — from roasted corn to crocheted baby hats.

(more…)

10/12/14 2:00pm
10/12/2014 2:00 PM
Nikola Tesla's final laboratory in Shoreham will be open to the public for three hours later this month. (Credit: Tesla Society, courtesy)

Nikola Tesla’s final laboratory in Shoreham will be open to the public for three hours later this month. (Credit: Tesla Society, courtesy)

You’ve likely driven past legendary scientist Nikola Tesla’s lab in Shoreham many times in the past.

And it’s even more likely you’ve never set foot on the lab’s grounds.

You can change all that from 1 to 4 p.m. Oct. 25.  (more…)

10/10/14 6:00am

October is upon us, friends and neighbors. Time to put those flip-flops away. This time of year, although beautiful, always makes me very sad. Most of you know how I feel about the cold, wind and snow; I can’t stand it. I’ll admit, a good snowstorm that doesn’t cause a power outage is always nice around the holidays, but the many months of dealing with snow, ice and whipping wind — yuck!  (more…)