• A few years ago, Riverhead resident Thomas Pfalzer, aka Freddy Topaz, found himself wondering about the use of the word Xmas in place of Christmas. He decided to write a song about it. The result was “Merry Crossmas” and an accompanying music video shot in Riverhead and Mattituck. (more…)
Performances of ‘Godspell’ are scheduled for Friday and Saturday at the Jamesport Meeting House. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)
“Godspell” is a musical retelling of the Gospel According to Matthew, in which Jesus shares parables with his followers. It seems fitting, then, that this year’s annual production by Riverhead Faculty and Community Theatre — temporarily homeless due to renovations at the high school — would land in the historic Jamesport Meeting House, which has its own history of religious services and has had numerous “resurrections” of its own over the last 275 years. (more…)
• A blessing of the artists will be hosted by the Spiritual Renewal Center Saturday, Nov. 15. The blessing will take place at 1 p.m. in the First Parish Church sanctuary on Sound Avenue, Northville. From 2 to 4 p.m., a reception and gallery showing will be held in Grange Hall across the street. (more…)
• Have breakfast with master printmaker Dan Welden at 10 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 9, at The South Street Gallery in Greenport.
Mr. Welden, who’s also a painter and author, will talk about his recent residency at the renowned printing facility in Guanlan, China, and show his work from that time. While there he was a keynote speaker at the Guanlan Print Art Museum, the largest print museum in the world. (more…)
Lois Ross, left, leads the choir at a 2011 practice session of North Fork Chorale.
Members of the North Fork Chorale gathered at director Lois Ross’ dinning room table Friday morning. The discussion ranged from recent vacations, family updates and the group’s upcoming December concert series.
It is not an uncommon occurrence for members.
“In between songs everyone is talking to each other,” said Chorale treasurer Gene Yourch.
“Friendships come out of our group,” added his wife Mary, the group’s secretary. “There isn’t a person here I wouldn’t move my chair to sit next to. Everyone is family.”
It’s a 78-year tradition and one the Yourchs and other members hope to continue for years to come despite dwindling financial resources. (more…)
• Work by abstract painter Ine Wijt-vliet and classical painter Natalia Clarke will be on view Oct. 31 to Feb. 4 at Jamesport Manor Inn’s Rosalie Dimon Gallery. An artists’ reception is set for 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 9. (more…)
‘The Boy Friend’ runs through Nov. 9 at North Fork Community Theatre. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)
Sandy Wilson’s “The Boy Friend” is the latest spirited musical production to be offered by North Fork Community Theatre in Mattituck. Set in France during the Roaring Twenties, this play may be light on plot but it is strong on engaging song-and-dance numbers and laughs. (more…)
• “A Recent Series,” an exhibit of abstract painting by Andrew Masino, is on view Oct. 23 to Nov. 10 at Gallery Crossing in Peconic. An artist’s reception will be held from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 25. (more…)