02/24/15 9:58pm
02/24/2015 9:58 PM
Emergency volunteers and police at the scene of a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm in Calverton Tuesday night. (Credit: Jen Nuzzo)

Emergency volunteers and police at the scene of a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm in Calverton Tuesday night. (Credit: Jen Nuzzo)

A man suffered carbon monoxide poisoning inside a Calverton home Tuesday night, Riverhead fire officials said.

The victim also suffered a head injury and was found passed out when rescue workers arrived at the Baiting Hollow Lane home shortly after 9 p.m., officials said.

He was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center for treatment and no other people were injured in the incident, authorities said.

Heavy smoke was coming from the house when Riverhead and Flanders Ambulance officials arrived at the scene, which firefighters said was caused by a wood-burning stove in the home.

The Riverhead Fire Marshal is investigating the incident.

jnuzzo@timesreview.com

02/19/15 8:00am
02/19/2015 8:00 AM
From left, Tracey Foutaine and TK. Mr. Fountaine credits his faith, extended family, friends and even the help of strangers for helping his family get back on its feet. (Credit: Paul Squire)

Tracey Foutaine and his wife, Lyn, in front of their home. Mr. Fountaine credits his faith, extended family, friends and even the help of strangers for helping his family get back on its feet. (Credit: Paul Squire)

Northampton resident Tracey Fountaine can remember seeing an owl perched on the roof of his house as he arrived home from work one day last June.

A few hours later, the owl was still there.

It was a strange sight, he recalls. Normally owls don’t get that close to homes, or stay around long.

That was all before the aging electrical outlet sparked in the basement near the clothes dryer, before the fire leapt up the wall, before Mr. Fountaine was covered in a flaming blanket while desperately battling the blaze. That was also before he spent days in a hospital recovering from burns while his family dealt with what remained of the family home.

But even when the house — the place his wife, Lyn, had called home since childhood — did catch fire and firefighters tried to contain the blaze, the owl didn’t fly away. It stayed there, hopping from one side of the roof to the other, consumed in smoke.

Only after the fire was out and everyone was OK did the owl leave its perch, Mr. Fountaine said.

He believes that owl was like a guardian, watching over his family and keeping them safe. Nine months after the devastating fire, small owl trinkets litter the trailer the Fountaine family is living in as their home is rebuilt bigger and stronger.

“The owl has become like a family symbol,” Mr. Fountaine said. “I know when we go back home, it will come back.”

In many ways, Mr. Fountaine’s story mirrors the lives of other residents in the North Fork area who have lost their homes and possessions — and more — to fire in the past few years. There’s the initial devastation, the grueling recovery and the importance of support from family and friends.

The News-Review sat down with four area residents who were the victims of house fires in recent years to learn more about that recovery process.

Click on the tabs below to read their stories.

02/18/15 1:41pm
02/18/2015 1:41 PM
Suffolk County investigators arrive on scene Monday morning. (Credit: Joseph Pinciaro)

Suffolk County investigators arrive on scene of the shooting incident Monday morning. (Credit: Joseph Pinciaro)

The 17-year-old girl who was murdered along with her mother in Wading River Sunday night had previously told police she was afraid of the man who would later shoot and kill her, according to records obtained by the News-Review.  (more…)