• ‘The Natural Beauty of Plum Island: Sea, Seals, Sunsets and More,’ an exhibit of photographs and paintings, will be on view at Southold Historical Society’s Cosden-Price Gallery in downtown Southold from May 9 to 30. A related exhibit will run from May 5 to June 15 at Floyd Memorial Library in Greenport. (more…)
• East End Arts has been named a finalist in the third annual Long Island Imagine Awards in the Innovation Award category.
The Riverhead group’s nomination came as a result of its role in founding and managing the music festival Winterfest Live on the Vine at local wineries and other venues. (more…)
• The Old Town Arts and Crafts Guild in Cutchogue will present the exhibit and sale ‘Historical Art Collection of the North Fork’ from April 18 to 26. The artists whose work is featured are Angela Raso, Joseph Beckwith Hartranft, Larry Waitz, Helen Kroeger, Dorothy Whitehead, Jay Throne, Gertrude Ali, Laura McBride, Stow Wengenroth and Whitney Hubbard.
The show will be open Saturdays, April 18 and 25, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays, April 19 and 26, noon to 5 p.m. (more…)
Last year’s grand prize winning entry by Audrey Zhang.
• Call for young artists: Entries are sought for the Arts Alive LI 2015 Poster Contest, whose theme is “I Love Long Island.” Open to students in pre-K through grade 12, the contest is sponsored by Arts Alive LI, a program of the Long Island Arts Alliance. (more…)
• An exhibit of work by animator Don Duga and fine artist/independent filmmaker Irra Verbitsky will be on view April 8 to May 28 at Riverhead Free Library’s Elizabeth Fox Overton Gallery. Both artists are longtime Riverhead residents.
The two artists will be on hand for a talk and reception from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, April 25. (more…)
• ‘Mood Indigo: A Salute to the Blues in Song and Poem’ will be presented at 3 p.m. Sunday, March 29, at Floyd Memorial Library in Greenport.
The “musical journey” will be performed by Jere Jacob, Dee Labeglia, Mel Mendelssohn and Rebekah White. The program will feature the music of W.C. Handy, Louis Armstrong, “Fats” Waller, Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, Ethel Waters, Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn, along with the poetry of Langston Hughes and Maya Angelou. (more…)
• The sixth Down Right Art exhibition, featuring work by artists with Down Syndrome, will be on view March 21 to April 12 at Castello di Borghese Vineyard in Cutchogue. An opening reception will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. March 21 in the Terra Cotta Art Gallery. (more…)
• A series of still life paintings by Center Moriches artist Cynthia Parry titled “Cookin’ ” will be shown March 6 through May 29 at the Riverhead Town Hall gallery. The exhibit is presented by East End Arts.
After a career as a full-time teacher, Ms. Parry began a second career as a visual artist. She has studied abroad, with the Art Students League and at Sam Adoquei’s atelier on Union Square. She was twice an artist in residence at the Vermont Studio Center. Her work has been shown at various galleries and venues on Long Island. (more…)