The military couple selected to receive a donated wedding at Brecknock Hall in Greenport is tying the knot this Friday, Veteran’s Day.
Johnathan and Cathrine Schmanski, who are both in the Army, fell in love at a military base in Germany in 2009 and got hitched at a Justice of the Peace court in Arizona last year. Only a handful of friends could attend, and the two wished they could have had a large wedding ceremony with all of their family members.
Their dream came true when they were chosen by Peconic Landing to receive a free wedding celebration through the first-ever Brecknock Veterans Day Wedding Giveback.
Nearly two-dozen local businesses are donating everything for the big day, from the food, wine and wedding cake to the gown, makeup and limousine.
Mr. and Ms. Schmanski could not be reached for comment for this article, since they were both involved in combat training in Georgia this past week, according to Rachel Maloy, Ms. Schmanski’s sister and maid of honor.
Ms. Maloy said the two are expected to land in New York on Thursday and head straight to their rehearsal dinner at Cliffside Resort Waterfront Condominiums in Greenport. They’re going to have to miss the actual rehearsal, Ms. Maloy said.
“They’re at a loss for words at how generous and selfless everyone is,” Ms. Maloy said. “They’re beside themselves for sure, and my family is too. It’s overwhelming.”
The wedding ceremony will be held at 4 p.m. Friday on the front lawn of Brecknock Hall, weather permitting, and a cocktail hour and reception inside the mansion will immediately follow.
Readers of The Suffolk Times and Riverhead News-Review have voted online for many aspects of the wedding celebration through a partnership with Times/Review Newsgroup and Peconic Landing, which owns the grounds of historic Brecknock Hall.
Readers have chosen, week after week, what they’d like to see at the Schmanski wedding. Here are the results:
• Main entrees by Christopher Michael Catering: Filet mignon with horseradish dill sauce, sautéed chicken with rosemary and shallot and citrus marinated tuna.
• Appetizer by The Loft Restaurant: Mini crab and salmon cakes served with a mustard cognac dipping sauce.
• Wine by Macari Vineyards: the 2007 Estate Chardonnay and the 2003 Estate Merlot.
• Beer by Greenport Harbor Brewing Company: Harbor Ale
• Cake by Sacred Sweets: Chocolate with chocolate ganache filling
• Bride’s makeup by Allison Pressler Professional Skin Care: sultry eye
• Bride’s hair by Peconic Clipper: updo as seen on www.hairstylesbob.com
• Groom’s tuxedo from Chap’s Corner: black tuxedo with maroon tie, vest and handkercheif
• Place settings: Hampton Chinaware by Party Rental, Ltd.
• Centerpiece: Yellow and white arrangement by Ivy League Lowers
• Bridal party photo shoot location with Caroline Rochetta Photography: Long Island Sound beach