Five people were arrested on drunken driving and drug charges and another on a traffic offense during a New Year’s Eve sobriety checkpoint that was set up in Riverhead Town, police said.
Members of the district attorney’s East End DWI Task Force took part in the operation, which included officers from the Riverhead and Southold town departments, state police and the Suffolk County Police Department.
The exact location of the checkpoint was not disclosed to the media.
• Alicia Hansen, 28, of Calverton, for driving while intoxicated.
• Charles Cumella, 63, of Calverton, for driving while ability impaired.
• Kenneth Sarcona, 59, of East Quogue, for driving while intoxicated.
• Lenny Ancona, 52, of Centereach, for driving while ability impaired by drugs.
• Donald Franco Hernandez, 41, of Flanders, for fourth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance.
A sixth person, Forrest Cowell, 26, of Riverhead, for arrested for aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the second degree, a misdemeanor.