GRANT PARPAN PHOTO | Riverhead Ambulance volunteers help a Paraco Gas worker to the hospital after he slipped and fell Monday morning.
A worker was rushed the hospital after taking a fall at the Paraco Gas facility on Kroemer Avenue in Riverhead Monday morning.
The man, who was transported to Peconic Bay Medical Center by Riverhead Ambulance, suffered a possible broken leg, a co-worker said.
Additionally, two motor vehicle accidents were reported nearby in Eastport: one on the eastbound Sunrise highway exit ramp at Eastport Manor Road and the other on Old Country Road west of Tuttle Avenue.
At least three abandoned vehicles could be found on Route 25 between Wading River-Manor Road and Route 25A at 9 a.m. Monday, including at least one left behind today.
Due the still unsafe road conditions, Riverhead Town cancelled sanitation service Monday, officials announced.
“Residents who normally have Monday service may put their trash out on their second pickup on Thursday,” officials said.
For additional assistance, leave a message with the sanitation department at 727-3200, ext. 391. Calls will be returned as soon as possible.
Six Riverhead firefighters, a fire chief and a tanker truck came to the aid of the Eastport Fire Department at an Eastport mulch fire early Saturday morning.
The fire is at a mulch and recycling facility on Speonk-Riverhead Road, south of Sunrise Highway. Riverhead Fire Chief Nick Luparella said Saturday morning that his department got the call just after 6 a.m.
Riverhead firefighters and teams from seven other departments were still battling the fire at 9:30 a.m. Saturday. “They’re working with bucket loaders to break up the piles of mulch now,” Chief Luparella said.
Mulch piles can smolder and ignite as plant material decomposes, a process that creates heat. The piles must be frequently turned and mixed to prevent hot spots from igniting.
Chief Luparella said that he believed the fire had been contained within the site where it started and did not threaten the surrounding pine barrens. “There’s no concern of it spreading anywhere,” he said.