A fire that broke out at a Riverhead High School portable classroom Sunday afternoon appears to have been caused by a mechanical failure in the unit’s heating unit, according to a Riverhead fire marshal.
“It’s definitely not a suspicious fire,” said fire marshal David Andruskiewicz, who is investigating the fire.
For hours upon hours every year, local volunteer firefighters train for worst-case scenarios. They prepare for smoke-filled houses and out of control fires. They drill again and again how to handle each type of emergency call — hoping they won’t have to answer one anytime soon.
Nearly a year ago, on Jan. 29, 2015, that kind of worst-case scenario training was put to use. READ
A fire that broke out at the former 84 Lumber building on West Main Street in Riverhead Wednesday afternoon is a “crime scene” and is being investigated as a possible arson, Riverhead police said. READ
A Wading River teen rushed into his burning home Tuesday afternoon to alert his mother and bring her to safety after a fire sparked in the garage. READ
The two victims injured when the Riverhead school minibus they were driving in crashed on the Long Island Expressway and caught fire Thursday afternoon are now resting at home, district superintendent Nancy Carney said Friday.
A Riverhead school bus caught fire and was destroyed Thursday afternoon after it was involved in a “serious accident” on the Long Island Expressway, according to district superintendent Nancy Carney. READ
The remains of the Dalecki family home in Wading River in the days following a February 2014 fire. (Credit: Paul Squire, file)
We would like to express our heartfelt thanks to the Riverhead building department and water district employees who did everything in their power to help us rebuild and move back into the home we lost to a devastating fire 19 months ago.
Bri Ristau felt like taking a break.
The 20-year-old videographer, who was working from home Friday afternoon at her family’s Church Lane farmhouse in Aquebogue, said she was “stressed out” after fielding business calls and had decided to scoop herself some ice cream inside a barn on her parents’ property.
But soon after she exited the house, Ms. Ristau said, she heard what she described as a “beeping noise” coming from a fire alarm inside the 1880s home. Then she saw the smoke. (more…)