08/08/15 12:14pm
08/08/2015 12:14 PM

ChurchLaneFireWP

Bri Ristau felt like taking a break.

The 20-year-old videographer, who was working from home Friday afternoon at her family’s Church Lane farmhouse in Aquebogue, said she was “stressed out” after fielding business calls and had decided to scoop herself some ice cream inside a barn on her parents’ property.

But soon after she exited the house, Ms. Ristau said, she heard what she described as a “beeping noise” coming from a fire alarm inside the 1880s home. Then she saw the smoke. (more…)

03/16/15 10:00am
03/16/2015 10:00 AM
BARBARAELLEN KOCH PHOTOTristin Krueger and his mother, Raven, in front of their fire-damaged home on Twomey Avenue in Calverton. (Barbaraellen Koch file photo)

Tristin Krueger and his mother, Raven, in front of their fire-damaged home on Twomey Avenue in Calverton in January. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch, file)

When Caraline Krueger’s employers at the Cooperage Inn told her they wanted to host a fundraiser to help raise money for her family, whose Calverton home was badly damaged in a Jan. 17 fire, she almost began to cry. (more…)

01/22/15 8:00am
01/22/2015 8:00 AM
Tristan and his mother Raven Krueger leave their home on Twomey Avenue Wednesday morning. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)

Tristin and his mother Raven Krueger leave their home on Twomey Avenue Wednesday morning. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)

On Wednesday morning, Raven Krueger of Calverton took her son Tristin to Stony Brook University Hospital for chemotherapy. It’s a routine the family has been forced to repeat twice a month since the teen was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in December 2013, just before his 17th birthday.

After this particular treatment, however, the Kruegers did not have a home to return to.

On Saturday, Tristin, now 18, was with his two older brothers in their Twomey Avenue home when they heard what sounded like gunshots. The noise came from shotgun shells exploding in the attic, where a fire had erupted. (more…)

11/13/14 3:33pm

Maidstone2

Update, 4:10 p.m.: A mother and her adult daughter escaped from their burning condo unharmed, according to Riverhead Police.

The fire is believed to have started in the chimney shortly before 3 p.m.

Just about an hour later, most of the flames had been extinguished by fire volunteers that had responded to the scene. (more…)