10/17/13 9:00am
10/17/2013 9:00 AM

Testing1

Thousands of frustrated parents and educators from across Long Island were expected to attend a forum at Garden City High School Tuesday night for an opportunity to speak with New York State Education Commissioner John King about Common Core curriculum and state testing.

Then the meeting was postponed.

The New York State PTA, which was to sponsor the event — one of a series of forums across the state — announced on its website Saturday that the event and three similar forums had been postponed indefinitely at the request of the commissioner’s office.

It was bad enough that only one forum was scheduled for Long Island on this very important topic — more than an hour from the North Fork, no less. Now it appears the discussion won’t happen at all.

Considering the concerns of parents and teachers across the state, we’d expect Mr. King to schedule more forums on the topic of Common Core, not suspend the few he had already scheduled.

The commissioner said in a statement this week that the first two forums on the topic — held in Poughkeepsie and upstate Whitesboro — had been “co-opted by special interests whose stated goal was to ‘dominate’ the questions and manipulate the forum.”

“The disruptions caused by the ‘special interests’ have deprived parents of the opportunity to listen, ask questions and offer comments,” his statement continued.

But news coverage of those two forums indicated that most speakers — who were granted just two minutes apiece after the commissioner had spoken for more than an hour — were teachers and parents. Aren’t those the very people Mr. King should be hearing from?

Since it appears the forums have only been postponed and not yet canceled for good, there’s still time for Mr. King to change his mind and carry on with the program. We hope he does, because the commissioner should be hearing more of what the public has to say, not less.

05/10/10 12:00am
05/10/2010 12:00 AM

Matthew McAvoy

A 21-year-old Mattituck man who police said engaged in a sex act with a 12-year-old girl at the Smith Haven Mall Saturday evening is being held in the county jail on $100,000 bail following his arrest Sunday on felony charges, authorities said.
Matthew McAvoy of Deephole Drive allegedly engaged in a sex act and sexually abused the girl in a restroom corridor near the food court in the Lake Grove mall, Suffolk Police said. He was charged with first degree criminal sex act and second degree sexual abuse and is scheduled to return to court on Wednesday, May 12.
Mr. McAvoy’s record includes guilty pleas on three other charges last year, said a spokesman for Suffolk County District Attorney Tom Spota.
Mr. McAvoy, who also goes by the name Cassidy McAvoy, is currently awaiting sentencing on a felony charge of third-degree burglary. He was arrested in Riverhead on Jan. 17 and entered a guilty plea on March 31, the spokesman said.
Last Dec. 9 he was arrested in Riverhead on a misdemeanor count of criminal trespass. After pleading guilty on Dec. 28 he was sentenced to 60 days in the county jail.
On Oct. 9 Mr. McAvoy pleaded guilty in Islip to driving while ability impaired, was sentenced to time served in jail and had his license suspended for 90 days. He was arrested for drunk driving on April 5, officials said.