A Flanders man didn’t fall for a frequently used online scam April 5, according to Southampton Town police.
The Pleasure Drive resident listed two remote control cars for sale on Craigslist, one for $100 and the other for $125, official said. A prospective buyer responded via text message and sent two money orders, each for $985, and then asked the seller to send back the difference. (more…)
• Someone removed $38,000 from a business account at a local bank, according to a police report. The money was reported missing last Friday, Riverhead Town police said. The alleged theft is under investigation, according to the report.
• About $2,000 worth of copper was stolen from Riverhead High School overnight Monday, according to a police report. Authorities said 2-by-20-foot and 3-by-20-foot lengths of copper were missing from the school. The metal was stolen sometime between 3 p.m. Monday and 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.
• A Mastic man was arrested for marijuana possession at an ice cream parlor in Riverhead early last Tuesday, police said. Terry Peacock, 32, was arrested after police investigated a “suspicious vehicle” about 3:19 a.m.
Mr. Peacock was charged with one misdemeanor count and one violation for marijuana possession.
• A 65-year-old Glenwood Village resident was caught driving drunk after he crashed inside the residential development last Saturday evening, police said.
Christopher Zimmermann was arrested after getting into an accident at 6:04 p.m., according to a police report. Mr. Zimmerman was brought to police headquarters and charged with misdemeanor driving while intoxicated, police said.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.
• A man left the Stop & Shop on Route 58 without paying for numerous items Monday at about 7:30 p.m., according to Riverhead Town police. The suspect fled in a black Dodge Dakota, having left the stolen items in the parking lot when he was confronted by store security, who recovered the items, according to police. (more…)
A Flanders man who jumped out a second-story window to avoid police was later caught on Old Quogue Road in Riverside nine hours later, according to Southampton Town Police. (more…)
A Hampton Bays man said he was attacked by two men, one of whom had a handgun, in a home on Ludlam Avenue in Riverside Saturday evening, Southampton Town police said. (more…)
• A Flanders man reported being punched in the face by a stranger over a cigarette in Flanders Friday night, police said.
Police say the suspect approached the man outside a Flanders Road home about 10 p.m., asking him for a cigarette. (more…)
A Flanders man reported being robbed of $2,500 in cash last Tuesday night on Priscilla Avenue in Flanders.
The victim told police that two unknown men displayed small handguns at about 10 p.m. and forcibly removed the money from him, according to police. (more…)
A 29-year-old convicted sex offender was arrested on Monday for failing to register his Riverhead address with the state, police said. (more…)