The Riverhead Fire Department firefighters at Bishop-McGann Mercy High School Sunday evening. (Credit: Jennifer Gustavson)
Update 5:20 p.m.: Bishop-McGann Mercy High School officials have confirmed the school will be opened Tuesday.
Principal Carl Semmler also issued the following statement:
“Bishop McGann-Mercy Diocesan High School was inspected by the Riverhead Fire Marshall, the Suffolk County Department of Health and a team of private environmental engineers. It has been determined that the building is safe for the students, faculty and staff to return tomorrow, April 1. The major debris has been removed, the student areas have been cleaned, including the use of air scrubbers with HEPA filters. The kitchen surfaces will continue to be disinfected tomorrow. As such, all students and faculty have been advised that there will be no food service tomorrow and to bring a bag lunch.”
The Riverhead Fire Department responded to an electrical fire Sunday evening at Bishop-McGann Mercy High School in Riverhead.
Firefighters battle a brush fire near Grumman Boulevard Wednesday afternoon (Credit: Joseph Pinciaro)
Firefighters from the Riverhead, Wading River and Manorville Fire Departments have been battling brush fires throughout the area Wednesday as ideal fire weather conditions and high winds sweep over Long Island.
The National Weather Service has warned that while Tuesday night’s strong coastal storm missed the East End, winds of 20-30 miles per hour with gusts up to 50 mph will persist through the evening. (more…)
Norman “Skip” Beal stands in front of his company’s Reliable Engine No. 1. (Credit: Paul Squire)
A lot has changed at the Riverhead Fire Department since May of 1962. But for the Reliable Hose & Engine Company No. 1, one thing has remained a constant since then: Norman “Skip” Beal. (more…)
Volunteers serve up some sausage at Sunday’s breakfast fundraiser. (Paul Squire Photo)
For more than 25 years, the Riverhead Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary have been serving up breakfast on a Sunday morning in late winter. (more…)
Volunteers at the back door of the Newtown Avenue home. (Carrie Miller Photo)
About 50 Riverhead Fire Department volunteers responded to a basement fire at a Newton Avenue home Wednesday afternoon. The basement suffered minimal damage and despite the fact that at least two people were home at the time of the fire, there were no injuries. (more…)
Riverhead Fire Department’s longest serving member Harold “Smokey” Schaefer died Friday at Peconic Bay Medical Center. He was 94 years old. (more…)
PAUL SQUIRE PHOTO | Officials investigate a spill at Hunter Insulation on Elton Street in Riverhead Tuesday morning.
Riverhead Police have closed a portion of Elton Street in Riverhead this morning in response to a liquid leaking from a dumpster on the property of Hunter Insulation. The road is closed between East Main Street and Howell Street.
It’s unclear what the spill is yet. Riverhead Fire Department and the Department of Environmental Conservation’s spill response team are currently investigating on scene.
The clear, white liquid is leaking from barrels loaded in a dumpster by the loading area and running down the driveway into the side of the street. Fans are being used to try to prevent the liquid from reaching the street.
CARRIE MILLER PHOTO | Firefighters at the scene of a basement fire on Kay Road in Calverton.
A painter working at a Calverton home alerted a family living in the home to a fire in the basement Tuesday afternoon, allowing everyone in the residence to escape safely.
Paul Ray was upstairs painting in a bedroom with two other men when he said he saw smoke coming from the basement. He alerted family members in the home to the threat, and six fire departments responded to the the fire.
A woman who said she lived in the home said, “[The painter] ran in the room and I just grabbed the kids and got out.”
Wading River, Riverhead, Manorville, Rocky Point, Sound Beach and Ridge Fire Departments were all on scene. The fire was contained and knocked down within a half hour.
Joy Parson, a next door neighbor, said that she had woken from a nap to see smoke pouring from the home. “I said ‘Oh my god,” she said.
The cause remains under investigation by the Riverhead Town Fire Marshals.
Check back as more information becomes available.