06/14/18 6:00am
06/14/2018 6:00 AM

In March 1990, Mercy High School principal Sister Elaine Hanson accepted the school’s 1989 state School of Excellence award from Department of Education representative Herbert Stupp in a ceremony at the school.

In 1956 the Superior General of the Sisters of Mercy in Brooklyn sent five nuns to Riverhead with the goal of starting a new Catholic high school.

Mercy High School first opened that year in a temporary space on Roanoke Avenue, which is now the Synergy Center. At one point, as enrollment grew, some classes were held there and others were held at a space within the former St. John the Evangelist School. READ

Featured Story
06/07/18 6:00am

As he begins to sprint, the world falls silent.

The crowd noise shuts off as if hitting a mute button. He hears no footsteps of the sprinters next to him, no instructions shouted by coaches.

Just silence. (more…)