Featured Story
05/02/16 6:34pm

Robbery

Police released security camera footage of a robbery that occurred at a deli on Osborn Avenue late last week. And while a suspect is sought in that case, police also announced that they are seeking information after a car was shot with “several rounds from a shotgun” the following night. READ

Featured Story
11/26/15 11:02am

Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 11.01.18 AMPolice are seeking information about a shooting near Route 58 that occurred early this morning.

According to authorities, two men shot at another man in the parking lot outside of a restaurant at Riverhead Centre, at the intersection of Mill Road and the busy thoroughfare. Police said no one was injured during the shooting. READ

10/22/14 5:05pm
10/22/2014 5:05 PM
Southold shooting suspects (from left) Walter Vasquez, 17, of Greenport;  Pedro Emilio Santamaria, 31, of Greenport; and Jeremias Nathaniel Recinos Torres, 19, of Aquebogue are escorted by corrections officers into Southold Town Court Friday morning. The three were arraigned in Suffolk County court Wednesday. (Credit: Paul Squire)

Southold shooting suspects (from left) Walter Vasquez, 17, of Greenport; Pedro Emilio Santamaria, 31, of Greenport; and Jeremias Nathaniel Recinos Torres, 19, of Aquebogue are escorted by corrections officers into Southold Town Court Friday morning. The three were arraigned in Suffolk County court Wednesday. (Credit: Paul Squire)

A fifth man is currently being sought by police for his alleged role in last Tuesday’s shooting in Southold, a Suffolk prosecutor said Wednesday during the arraignments of three men accused in the attack.

A total of four men so far have been arrested by police. They’ve all been indicted and arraigned on violent felony charges of assault and gang assault.

They are all being held in county jail on $500,000 cash bail or $1 million bond. (more…)

10/11/14 8:28am
10/11/2014 8:28 AM
The scene Saturday morning on East Avenue in Riverhead near where a 19-year-old was shot twice. (Credit: Rachel Young)

The scene Saturday morning on East Avenue in Riverhead near where a 19-year-old man was shot twice. (Credit: Rachel Young)

UPDATE: The 19-year-old Riverhead man who police said was shot twice in the back Friday night as he was walking home on East Avenue is in critical condition at Stony Brook University Medical Center, a hospital spokesperson said Saturday afternoon.

ORIGINAL STORY: A 19-year-old Riverhead man was shot twice in the back Friday night as he was walking home on East Avenue, Riverhead police said.

(more…)

01/09/14 9:46am
PAUL SQUIRE PHOTO | Glass on the rear parking lot behind the Treasure Cove Marina and Hyatt Hotel.

PAUL SQUIRE PHOTO | Glass on the rear parking lot behind the Treasure Cove Marina and Hyatt Hotel.

Update, 12:00 p.m.: Hyatt executive director Bryan DeLuca confirmed that the teenager reportedly shot at Wednesday night was not a registered guest at the hotel.

Update, 10:30 a.m.: Hyatt general manager Steve Shauger said Thursday morning that he was unsure if the Bellport man reportedly involved in a Wednesday night shooting downtown was staying at the hotel as the teen had told police.

Shauger added in the morning that while the shooting was seen by witnesses at the hotel, and the man involved said he was at the hotel parking lot when it took place, the incident itself took place in the Treasure Cove parking lot.

“It was a shock when I heard about it this morning. The hotel hasn’t had any kinds of problems like this in the past,” he said.

The general manager added that security is on throughout the night guarding “the campus” between Hyatt Place, the Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center. In addition, one desk agent is working at the front of the hotel during the night shift. Though he added that the employee didn’t hear anything until police showed up.

Original story: A shooting in downtown Riverhead Wednesday night left a Bellport teenager with a broken car window as he fled the scene near the Hyatt Hotel, Riverhead Town police said. No injuries were reported.

Police pulled over a car driving erratically on East Main Street about 11:15 p.m. last night and officers noticed the driver’s side window was broken. Jerome Eleazer, 19, told police that two masked people approached his car and one fired shots toward his vehicle in the rear parking lot of the Hyatt Hotel, where he had been staying, police said.

The suspects approached the car and ordered him out of the vehicle, police said. When he didn’t get out, one of the suspects fired into the car as Mr. Eleazer fled the scene, police said. Police do not currently suspect it was a random act. Mr. Eleazer, who was uninjured, told police he didn’t want to pursue the incident further.

Police reported that several witnesses at Hyatt Hotel saw the incident occur. Witnesses reported the suspects fired at the building and then fled with two other people in a car, police said.

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact Riverhead police at (631) 727-4500.

According to court records, Mr. Eleazer pleaded guilty to operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs in November 2011. He was also arrested on a charge of fifth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance last October. Court records show he missed his Jan. 7 court appearance and is due back in court Feb. 4.

WITH JOE PINCIARO

06/21/13 2:00pm
06/21/2013 2:00 PM
BARBARAELLEN KOCH PHOTOS | Eric Baldwin Jr (left) and Jordan Harrell are led to their arraignment in Riverhead Town Justice court in February. Both men have pleaded guilty to the charges against them.

BARBARAELLEN KOCH PHOTOS | Eric Baldwin Jr (left) and Jordan Harrell are led to their arraignment in Riverhead Town Justice court in February. Both men have pleaded guilty to the charges against them.

Two of the four people charged in a February drive-by shooting in Riverhead have pleaded guilty, according to Suffolk County court records.

Eric Baldwin Jr., 18, of Bellport and Jordan Harrell, 18, of Medford — who authorities say were not the driver or shooter in the incident — were in the car allegedly used in the drive-by when it was pulled over moments after the shooting. Both were charged with first-degree reckless endangerment for acting “in concert” to shoot up the house.

Mr. Baldwin was also charged with fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon after police found he was carrying brass knuckles.

He pleaded guilty to both the felony reckless endangerment and misdemeanor weapons possession charges against him before Judge William Condon in county criminal court Thursday, online records show. The top charge, first-degree reckless endangerment, is a class “D” felony that carries a maximum sentence of seven years in state prison.

Mr. Harrell had pleaded guilty in March to a reckless endangerment charge, court officials said.

Additional information about the two pleas was not immediately available.

The alleged driver in the shooting, former Riverhead resident Jasmine Parsons, 19, now of Mastic, still faces the first-degree reckless endangerment charge against her.

The man authorities say shot a Smith & Wesson .38-caliber semiautomatic handgun at the home on Third Street, Jeffrey Despeines, 21, of Centereach, also faces three felony charges in the incident.

Both Ms. Parsons and Mr. Despeines have pleaded not guilty.

Riverhead Town police responded to the house on Third Street just before 9 p.m. on Feb. 13 after hearing gunfire.

A nearby officer on patrol said he saw a Ford Taurus leaving the scene of the shooting and trailed the car before pulling it over, arresting the group on nearby Peconic Avenue, police said.

Authorities said they found spent shell casings on the floor of the car, which were later matched to “at least” one bullet dug from the house, prosecutors said. Police also discovered Mr. Despeines had a spent magazine in his shirt pocket at the time of his arrest and was carrying a loaded Smith & Wesson .38-caliber semiautomatic handgun, prosecutors said.

Authorities also accuse Mr. Despeines of defacing the registration on the gun.

Though seven bullets ripped through siding and into the living room and bedroom of two families living in the house, none of the people inside the house at the time of the shooting were injured.

Mr. Baldwin is scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 15, while Mr. Harrell has a sentencing date set for July 15, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office.

Ms. Parsons is due in court next Wednesday, court records show. Mr. Despeines is due in court on July 12.

[email protected]